Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat bob exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
jimbo225
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat bob exhaust!

Looking for some info on exhaust for my '12 Fat Bob. Sounded like a car when I bought it new, and the account was hurting after the purchase so I went with VH twin tip slip ons. They sound ok, but they RATTLE. Through the whole RPM range pretty much I can hear the heat shields rattling. Ive taken off, re installed 3 times, didn't work. VH was awesome and sent me all new heat shields for free, and still they rattle! Im done with it. Thinking on going VH 2 into 2 with a air filter and tuner. Anyone know of an approximate cost to do that at the dealer installed? Just ballpark. And Im looking for a good deep sound, not obnoxious loud. thanks in advance!!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM
fugawi
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

rc components have a 3 inch slip on that has a nice deep tone and wakes up when you twist. fair price also.this is what i did for my 12 fat bob.alot less money for a good tone...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

BCT baffles would cheaper just for sound, about $79 for original monster baffles . Here is a before and after below on stock Fatbob. Purchasing exhaust, high flow air and tuner with dealer installing would be at least $1200 I am guessing

Before

After

BCT
https://www.bigcitythunder.com/

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM
AwesomeIndeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacknsilver
BCT baffles would cheaper just for sound, about $79 for original monster baffles . Here is a before and after below on stock Fatbob. Purchasing exhaust, high flow air and tuner with dealer installing would be at least $1200 I am guessing

You have a 2009, correct? Didn't the 2009s come with no cat in the headpipe? I know the '10-up models have the cat in the head pipe. Even with new mufflers my bike wasn't very much louder at all than stock. I had to cut the cat out and re-weld the headpipe to get a deeper and louder tone out of it.

Just some food for thought.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeIndeed
You have a 2009, correct? Didn't the 2009s come with no cat in the headpipe? I know the '10-up models have the cat in the head pipe. Even with new mufflers my bike wasn't very much louder at all than stock. I had to cut the cat out and re-weld the headpipe to get a deeper and louder tone out of it.

Just some food for thought.
True, my 09 did not have the cat in the headpipe but I think maybe the 09 CVO's did. These vids are not from my fatbob I just seen them on the forum before linked to them.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the cobra slip-ons. Not deafening, but you can hear them.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Doug103FXDWG
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo225
Looking for some info on exhaust for my '12 Fat Bob. Sounded like a car when I bought it new, and the account was hurting after the purchase so I went with VH twin tip slip ons. They sound ok, but they RATTLE. Through the whole RPM range pretty much I can hear the heat shields rattling. Ive taken off, re installed 3 times, didn't work. VH was awesome and sent me all new heat shields for free, and still they rattle! Im done with it. Thinking on going VH 2 into 2 with a air filter and tuner. Anyone know of an approximate cost to do that at the dealer installed? Just ballpark. And Im looking for a good deep sound, not obnoxious loud. thanks in advance!!
I had the same rattling problem with these slip ons myself. It wasn't the heat shields, but the baffles themselves. Remove the mufflers, then remove the Allen screw and pull the baffles out. You'll notice a flange on each end of the baffles. Take a pair of pliers and spread each side by about 1/16th of an inch and reinsert. Use some WD-40 as they should be a tighter fit going back in. It may take a few attempts to get them rattle free. When you have the mufflers installed, take a rubber mallet and wrap the end of it with a towel or cloth and gently tap on each muffler body - if you hear anything clanking inside the muffler then your baffle is still loose. Remove and adjust as necessary. Once I did this the rattling stopped and the bike sounded great.