Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest Ride on Your Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicago to Lexington to Atlanta to Charleston in 3 days (and went through the Tail of the Dragon). And I had a stock seat. It rained every day. It was great. :-)

Then, on the return...we did Charleston to Indianapolis in one day and then back to Chicago the next morning. It rained 3 times on the way to Indy, but it was fine.

And you'll be fine too. Take breaks, watch the weather forecast/radar, have rain gear ready, & be safe.

My 09 Street Bob handled it fine. No windshield or backrest. I did have a full face helmet. That helped with rocks and bugs (and blowing sand near the beach).

Last edited by Punchsmack; 08-31-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Ridinrye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDisME
I'm looking to pick up 12" or 14" apes and personally, I can't stand the look of fairings on Street Bob's. If that's what others like, all good, it's just not my thing. I understand the benefit of the wind reduction, but the look just kills me haha. Plus, can a 1/4 fairing help THAT much?

The helmet may happen as well. I never wear helmets, but due to the unpredictable weather on a 9 day trip, it looks to be a wise investment. I believe we're cutting through Georgia and I think they are required there.

So the consensus is that the bike will handle it just fine. I knew I would need to upgrade some stuff for comfort.

Seat, storage and helmet are tops. Fairing? Meh
I'm with ya with most of the items.... A detachable windshield would help with some of the annoyance of being slammed in the face with wind, bugs, and anything else. I've taken several 400-450 mile rides in a day and faired just fine......half helmet and windshield was all the extras...14" apes

Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be fine! I have no doubt my Dyna will go as many miles as I want to push it. A good seat will help you and yes, small breaks to stretch your legs will keep you more relaxed. Go for it and enjoy yourself!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
JDisME
Tourer

Great feedback guys. I wish the trip was this year, but at least I have some time to prep for the ride.

One of the guys I ride with has an '01 Heritage with a Corbin seat. We all joke about how hard his damn seat is. But if that's how Corbins are as far as forming to your rear, no wonder he loves it and we all hate it!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Take a couple of weekends and ride what you will need to ride per day for the trip, and you will discover two things. One, whether you want to do the trip next year, and two, what are the glaring areas that will need replacing/upgrading. Kinda that "practice makes perfect" put to use.

Read a RR on ADVRider, where a guy rode a Honda Super Cub 50cc across the USA. Averaged 35MPH, and was on the bike all day almost every day. Adventurous or crazy, who knows, but seems it's the rider not the bike that counts...Good luck and let us know what you decide to do...tomp

FWIW, here is a lady who rode from VA, to Alaska and back solo on an 86 Yamaha Radian 600. It is by far the best rider report ever done. If you don't believe me, start reading. It's like a great novel, you won't be able to stop reading. Pics are cool, too... Look for her term, "cleavage juice". It's there...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213

Last edited by dirtdreamer50; 08-31-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

Never tried a Corbin but my danny gray was scarily firm when I first sat on it... Turned out it was super comfy!!

Originally Posted by JDisME
Great feedback guys. I wish the trip was this year, but at least I have some time to prep for the ride.

One of the guys I ride with has an '01 Heritage with a Corbin seat. We all joke about how hard his damn seat is. But if that's how Corbins are as far as forming to your rear, no wonder he loves it and we all hate it!

Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 AM
peter deering
Cruiser

I ride an 07 superglide not a street bob. This summer i 2400 km 3 days each way.1 off those each way i rode 1086 kms from cape breton nova scotia ferry to northern new brunswick. Stock seat detacable hd windshield no prob. Im no longer a young boy at 53 yrs old.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Inkdwheels
Cruiser

I'm on a 2008 superglide and I just finished a 2200 mile trip. 370 miles the first day, 850 the second, rested the third, 600 miles the fourth day, 400 the fifth. I have a mustang fastback seat with a 1/4 fairing. I used my hiking pack strapped to my sissy bar a backrest. I wish I had put highway pegs on before I left because I ride with mids. But other than a slightly sore ***, I was fine.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I only did a little over 1700 miles on my SB....

Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
romac
Cruiser
Talking

I have a 06 SB and rode from Edmonton, Alberta to Sturgis in 2 days (about 1600 km) I have a windshield, forward controls and a Mustang seat. No issues and the bike ran great.

When I took the trip I was 53 yrs old...still have the bike at 57 and do 8 - 9 hour rides on it without any issue and it keeps up just fine with the baggers.

Love my SB

Rob

Quick Reply: Longest Ride on Your Street Bob?