Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i keep stock plates on S&S Gear drive drive cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Tcobfxdxt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i keep stock plates on S&S Gear drive drive cams

I just got some S&S gear driven cams. Wondering if I have to replace the outer chain drive on the plate or can i run the stock drive with the tensioner?

This is my first diy cam install so Im confused watching videos.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I might not be reading your post correctly but if you go gear drive cams the tensioner and chain gets tossed. Gear cams do not us any chain or tensioners and you can use your stock cam plate.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gear Drive Cams ...........

Originally Posted by Tcobfxdxt
I just got some S&S gear driven cams. Wondering if I have to replace the outer chain drive on the plate or can i run the stock drive with the tensioner?

Everything gets tossed ................. Gear Drive set up's should come with what you need,,,,,,,,,, BUT........

Did you check your crank run out before purchasing the gear driven cam's ?

Your crank shaft run out must be with in .003 for a gear drive, most newer model Harley cranks do not meet this spec ............

Be careful and make sure you check this prior to installation or you could end up with some really big issue's...............

Chain drive cam's are plenty good enough unless you are doing a monster build............ Just did cams myself, Andrews 48H..........

Hope this help's ??????????

Live Free = Ride Free...............

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Installing a gear drive is not for a novice, really. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Tcobfxdxt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the s&s 583 gear drive cams. Should I be good to go or what do I need to change. I will be monitored by a certified mechanic. Wasn't the cams I wanted to run but I picked them up dirt cheap. Brand new.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

I just bought the s&s 583 gear drive cams. Should I be good to go or what do I need to change. I will be monitored by a certified mechanic. Wasn't the cams I wanted to run but I picked them up dirt cheap. Brand new.
Why not sell them and get what you want? Unless they have the lift,duration,ivo/ivc,etc you desire why install something that can make or break the way your bike runs and settle for possible disappointment?
Not saying don't run gear drive but get what you will be happy with and save up than install something because the price was right.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Default Certified Mechanic.............

Has the mechanic checked you crank run out ???????????

It would really suck to get everything a part and find out you can not even use what you have !!!!!!!!! Not may HD crank shaft's meet that spec for gear drive.

I personally would try and sell what you have and get the cam that best suit's what you have done to your bike and go with a chain drive set up.

I think you will be much happier with those........

Gear drive create's a lot of engine whine/noise and with out having your crank trued and pinned or welded there is no telling when it could ruin your day..........

I am not saying not to do it, do what you want but make sure you have all the information you need before you do it............

Live Free = Ride Free...........

Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Default Yup I agree...........

Originally Posted by slyedog
Why not sell them and get what you want? Unless they have the lift,duration,ivo/ivc,etc you desire why install something that can make or break the way your bike runs and settle for possible disappointment?
Not saying don't run gear drive but get what you will be happy with and save up than install something because the price was right.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default stop! rethink

I just did the tensioner's on my 01. once you open this "can of worms" you are obligated to change inner/outer cam bearings, tensioner shoes or complete assy's, whichever your mech advises. you cant do inner bearings yourself based on the tooling to remove, and to install at proper depth. I opted to stay stock on pushrods so you will have to pull the rocker box covers and rockers/cc breathers and than you can go into the cam support plate area. all this for a set of "great deal lopey cams" is not the way to go. stay chain driven unless you are prior to 04 or have deep pockets.