Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Passed Riders Edge/MSF, Need Bike Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Freezing Cold
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Passed Riders Edge/MSF, Need Bike Input

Hi friends!

Just passed the riders edge program at my local harley dealer and now its time for me to start looking for a bike. I did pretty well in the course and didn't get any deductions, but I haven't ridden much in the past.

I'm definitely looking for a used bike, and I'm not sure what I can handle. The Fat Bob to me is the epitome of cool but I'm not sure if it's too big for a guy with my experience/size. I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

The Fat Bob is the perfect bike for you. GET IT.
Then in 6 months you won't wish you had.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Freezing Cold
Hi friends!

Just passed the riders edge program at my local harley dealer and now its time for me to start looking for a bike. I did pretty well in the course and didn't get any deductions, but I haven't ridden much in the past.

I'm definitely looking for a used bike, and I'm not sure what I can handle. The Fat Bob to me is the epitome of cool but I'm not sure if it's too big for a guy with my experience/size. I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs.

Thanks
Go to where ever you want to purchase, sit on few different models and test ride what feels stable for you. Big thing to figure out is what type of riding you will do and if solo or 2up before you even go shopping.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Freezing Cold
4th Gear

I will mainly be using the bike for commuting to and from work (about 15 miles) and for day rides on the weekend. While I don't think I'll immediately want someone hopping on the back of it, I'd like to keep that option open so if I want to in a year then I'll be able to.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 PM
f-250ford
Cruiser

If your looking at used bikes that are only a few years old at Harley dealers make sure you do your homework. Most of the time new bikes are cheaper.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Go to where ever you want to purchase, sit on few different models and test ride what feels stable for you. Big thing to figure out is what type of riding you will do and if solo or 2up before you even go shopping.
Ditto what he said.

Test ride what feels good to sit on.

After a few test rides, you'll know what you want. I know you posted in the Dyna Model forum, but don't rule out other models when looking/test riding.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Freezing Cold
Hi friends!

The Fat Bob to me is the epitome of cool but I'm not sure if it's too big for a guy with my experience/size. I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs.

I am 5' 8", 190lbs and own a FatBob. The stock bike is low enough that I easily have both feet flat on the floor. You should have no issues at all with a FatBob - get one!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 AM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any Dyna. Superglide is a good choice. But most important is to skip the Sportster.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 2015 models are coming out, so the dealers will want to move the 14's(deals to be made). If you want to go that way.
Also like the others said go to a dealership that treats you right and sit on the bikes, test ride, rent one for the weekend. Make an informed decision, because once you buy the sickness begins MODIFICATIONS (seats, pegs, grips, wheels, motor up grades and so on).
Keep us posted. Happy hunting

Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

It's a fact that a real lot of new riders have accidents within the first six months. Most M/C accidents involve cars pulling out in front of bikes at intersections and the bikes T- boning the car because the inexperienced rider locks up his brakes and skids into the car or dumps the bike etc. Get a bike with ABS brakes, they might save your life.

Quick Reply: Just Passed Riders Edge/MSF, Need Bike Input