Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues with MOCO.................

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
I am in a service business and the customer come first, and any inconvenience the customer experience's come's first, and I am always jonny on the spot to make sure that they are taken care of to matter what.....
Actually, the customer may not be right, but he is never wrong...Your service business must not be electrical/electronic in nature. I spent over 25 years in general aviation maintenance and avionics and some things have to be done strictly by the vendor's guidelines for the service center to be reimbursed. And, as you know, a service center has to make money to stay in business just like any other business.

When a battery that holds 13.12 volt's steady but will not start the bike and was tested to show that it only pulled 250 cca and I just could not bring the battery to them for them to test and make a determination is a problem in your eyes, you my friend are the one that is mentally challenged..
Their request for you to bring in your ride so that they could check out the charging system was a fair and reasonable request. Your response to their request was neither fair nor reasonable. It seems that they were willing to warranty the battery and repair the charging system under the warranty. It really sounds like you wanted them to come to you to do it instead of you taking your bike to them. It doesn't work that way.

I was totally polite and respectful to the service department at all times, ...
Not according to your own comments in your OP.

You are the one that blew up in just responding to someones thread...
Maybe so, and for that I do apologize. However, in my defense, your rant was way out there and put me back in a time and place where I had to deal with rude customers with unreasonable demands.

...the fact you paid an absolute god awful amount of money for an extended warranty...... I just wonder if you are choking at the same time you are talking.......LMAO..............
That extended warranty was the best money I ever spent on a vehicle. The warranty work I have had done adds up to more than $2000. Look at all the things I have had done to this old bike...and my out of pocket cost so far is a grand total of $150...all because I know how to work a warranty and handle a reluctant service writer.

Oh and by the way the only fight I am looking for is with YOU my friend, you are a IDIOT ................ Maybe you just need some lovin, but with an attitude like your's that may not help at all................
You have anger issues...that, and a very limited vocabulary that leans toward personal insults and juvenile name calling when you are challenged.

Oh, and BTW, good luck with your electrical problem...I hope you get it fixed and can go for a long ride...you obviously need it.

Last edited by skinman13; 09-13-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I understand it was tested...........

Originally Posted by skinman13
Sorry about the aggressive rant on you...my bad. I think maybe it was a carry over from the OP's rant. His was way out there in La La land.

Until I purchased my SG, I had never once bought an extended warranty on anything I had ever purchased, new or used. The only reason I purchased the 2-year extended warranty on this SG is because, like I said, I was not familiar with this engine or drive train. The bike had 30K miles on it and it looked like it had sat in a shed or carport under a cover for years. I got a good deal on the bike so I went ahead and got the warranty. The bike was still blue-booked for more than I paid even with the warranty included. That was a good call that turned out to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. The warranty work alone was worth nearly twice what I paid for it including my deductibles.

I will not extend the warranty when it expires in December because I pretty much got everything taken care of that are known problems with this year and model and I have the tools and a garage, and I am a good enough mechanic and technician to tear into it myself from here.

Now, I have had a couple of really disappointing transactions...like not listening to what I am saying or needing done or doing crappy work...with the dealer service center that really set me off, and although it was not easy, I managed to step back and cool down and discuss my concerns politely and rationally and they have stepped up to the plate and taken care of the problems to my satisfaction. That is all anyone should expect.

Back to the topic, expecting the dealer to provide a battery under warranty without any justification other than the owner demands it is not reasonable.
I never asked them to replace if with out checking it out first..........

I had the battery tested, and then went to another place and had them test it. Both places stated the battery was no good, all I wanted the dealer to do was let me bring them the battery, it is very easy to determine if the battery is bad. But to simply state they need to bike to check a battery, seem's there is an ulterior motive for getting us to pay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no engine code's, no engine light's, no battery light, I have the luxury of being able to check to see if I had any code thrown and there were none.

I really hate to see what happens when something really goes wrong, but at that point, I am very mechanically inclined and will be able to take care of any dis assembly and re-assembly issue's on my own, and we can buy part's from anyone................

Live Free = Ride Free...........

Old 09-13-2014, 07:48 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Please pardon my double post. I have something to add that is relevant to this discussion.

Two months after I purchased my bike, the stator went out. I could not crank the bike one morning because the new battery installed when I purchased the bike was dead. I got out my multimeter and shop manual and within a half-hour I had determined that the stator was not putting out. I took it to the dealer and had it and the voltage regulator replaced under warranty. I also asked them to look at the IPB. I told them I thought there was an oil leak there but the real reason is because I read in these forums that this is a problem with this drive train. The stator, voltage regulator, and IPB were replaced under warranty.

I also told them that I kept hearing a noise coming from the lower right side of the engine because they will not look for problems with the tensioners under warranty unless the owner complains about a noise. The tenisoners were replaced at the same time as the other work. My total cost for all of this was $50.

Summer before last, I rode the bike from Houston to Anniston, Alabama, and I went through a lot of rain. On the return trip, after I filled up just over the Texas line in Vidor, the starter hung when I restarted. I shut it down and hauled it the rest of the way to Houston and took it to the dealer. The start and run switches had shorted and the starter engaged as soon as I turned on the ignition switch. The warranty covered replacing the switches and a new clutch assembly. My cost was $50. That job did not go well and required a couple of return trips and still there were problems that I fixed myself. Needless to say, I was really pissed at the service center, but I didn't say anything at the time.

Fast forward to this past June. About 75 miles into a short road trip, my bike would not crank after I filled up. I got a jump start and rode to the nearest dealer 5 miles away. They checked out the charging system and could not find any problems. They did not charge me anything and provided me with a cold soft drink and a snack while I waited.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened again at the start of a group ride I was really looking forward to...I got a jump and limped on home. I checked and found that the less-than-two-year old voltage regulator was bad. As it happened, about the same time, I had an opportunity to discuss my displeasure with the last job they did for me with the GM and service manager and they said that they wanted to make it right and wanted to fix the charging problem. Because of schedule conflicts, it was difficult to get it to them and when I explained this to them, they came to my house and picked it up...free...during rush hour...one hour's drive in some of the worst traffic in Houston. They replaced the voltage regulator, put it on a dyno and tweaked the carb, and adjusted the clutch along with replacing my scratched up derby cover with a replacement I had purchased online...that I brought them after they were finished with the other work and the bike was ready to go. There was no deductible charge because the voltage regulator had less than 2 years on it. Even though I offered to pay for them to replace the derby, they refused and even tossed in the derby gasket. I paid not one cent for all of this work...it was all done under warranty and their desire to make me a returning customer.

I am still not sure that I really trust them, but I gave them the opportunity to make it right and they did...

Peace, out

Last edited by skinman13; 09-13-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Most charging system problems start with loose cable connections. Check and retighten battery cables every 2 months and you will be surprised at how loose they gets in a short period of time.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:01 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

CFB your bikes problem turned out similar to mine but dealer did me right. I was getting intermittent kickback when starting after a long ride. Turned over fine on 2nd attempt each time. Went in for warranty for comp sprocket. 1st had to go back and show tune had acr enabled.They couldn't duplicate kickback. Said it had to be ridden for at least an hour before it would happen. Finally talked them into opening primary to check nut tq. Said on low side but within specs. They mentioned batt was not quite to CCA. Said was just below 250 on load test. They ended up warranting battery and charged me for parts and fluids for primary. Cost 45 bucks so I was satisfied. Funny thing I found out is the voltage regulator was warrantied in may right before I bought bike. The battery was never replaced. Problem hasn't reoccured. Fix may have been battery or from retourqing comp sprocket.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:12 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the customer may not be right, but he is never wrong...Your service business must not be electrical/electronic in nature. I spent over 25 years in general aviation maintenance and avionics and some things have to be done strictly by the vendor's guidelines for the service center to be reimbursed. And, as you know, a service center has to make money to stay in business just like any other business.

Their request for you to bring in your ride so that they could check out the charging system was a fair and reasonable request. Your response to their request was neither fair nor reasonable. It seems that they were willing to warranty the battery and repair the charging system under the warranty. It really sounds like you wanted them to come to you to do it instead of you taking your bike to them. It doesn't work that way.

Not according to your own comments in your OP.

Maybe so, and for that I do apologize. However, in my defense, your rant was way out there and put me back in a time and place where I had to deal with rude customers with unreasonable demands.

That extended warranty was the best money I ever spent on a vehicle. The warranty work I have had done adds up to more than $2000. Look at all the things I have had done to this old bike...and my out of pocket cost so far is a grand total of $150...all because I know how to work a warranty and handle a reluctant service writer.

You have anger issues...that, and a very limited vocabulary that leans toward personal insults and juvenile name calling when you are challenged.

Oh, and BTW, good luck with your electrical problem...I hope you get it fixed and can go for a long ride...you obviously need it.

We are not dealing with a mom and pop's shop here, we are dealing with a multi-million dollar company, and in my business we do not sweat the little nickel and dime items, it is not worth the paper work..........

Their request was fair, only if I were able to get the bike to their location.
Which in this case I was not able to do so...........

Maybe, just maybe you should not take out your own personal experience's at the expense of someone else's issue's.
Like I said, I was enraged but in no way took any of my frustration's out on the service department employee's that was assisting............

I would lean to say I am not alone with that statement, it look's as if we are sitting in the same circle of chair's...........

The battery issue is repaired, there never was an electrical issue, and like I said above it seem's we are sitting in the same circle of chairs..........

You know, you came off in you original response to my post just as upset as I was that the dealer would not even look at the battery with out the bike.

How did you think I was going to respond to your comment's, the last thing I needed was to hear comment's you put out there, I am not your customer and do not need to hear you rant and rave about how you mentally went back in time and it pissed you off......... Why should I have to be the one you finally get to vent your frustration's toward ??????????

I really think you could have responded in a different manner, as I could have stated my case a little clearer than I did..............

Live Free = Ride Free.............

Old 09-13-2014, 09:07 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
The battery issue is repaired, there never was an electrical issue, and like I said above it seem's we are sitting in the same circle of chairs..........

You know, you came off in you original response to my post just as upset as I was that the dealer would not even look at the battery with out the bike.

How did you think I was going to respond to your comment's, the last thing I needed was to hear comment's you put out there, I am not your customer and do not need to hear you rant and rave about how you mentally went back in time and it pissed you off......... Why should I have to be the one you finally get to vent your frustration's toward ??????????

I really think you could have responded in a different manner, as I could have stated my case a little clearer than I did..............

Live Free = Ride Free.............
You made your point.

I made my point.

We both vented.

I am glad you got it fixed. Ride safe.

Moving on...

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The original rant is ridiculous.

The bike is under warranty, for warranty service you bring the bike to the dealer.

If the warranty does not include recovery, then you must get it there on your own.

It is not the dealers problem that you live far away.

Another one for the whiners section.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 960 Likes on 458 Posts

The OP is wrong and should have brought the battery in.

He also needs to put a lot more exclamation points in his whiny rants and at *least* 40 more question marks and maybe 25 more periods so no one misses anything in each sentence.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

The reason the dealer wanted to see the bike was so they could completely check the charging system in case some component there was the cause of the battery problem. They didn't doubt that the battery was bad but needed to find out why. That would be the professional approach- don't just replace parts but diagnose the cause.
I had my battery die about a week before the warranty expired. When I brought it in, they checked everything out while I waited, found no other issues and sent me home with a new battery installed.

Quick Reply: Battery Issues with MOCO.................