Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues with MOCO.................

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:11 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

OP is a total idiot. More likely than not a Troll. He signed onto a motorcycle that was 20K or so and then wants to rant and rave about a $100 battery? GMAFB

Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13

I could waste my time with presenting my resume of formal education and over two decades of experience with maintaining batteries and power generation systems but why take my word for it that leaving a tender...any tender...trickle charge, smart tender, or any charger on a battery for an extended time will eventually damage the battery and shorten its useful life.

Google any battery manufacturer...aviation, motorcycle, automotive or otherwise, and you will find out the same thing that I was taught many years ago and spend a career making a good living doing...putting a tender on a battery for long periods of time without cycling the battery will shorten the life of the battery. It is the nature of the beast.

Or not...IDC. It's your bike and your money to waste.

I have a friend whe wrecked his battery on a battery tender. I hook up my BatteryMinder every couple of weeks in winter, and then take it off after a day. I have a boat battery that is 14 years old and works fine.

OP the dealer was following SOP, asking you to bring the bike in. Seems like a reasonable request. You should be glad they were willing to test your charging system for free.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 AM
cnydynarider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinman13
Putting a battery tender on a bike and leaving it there for extended periods of time will kill a battery...looks like you found out the hard way.

I've only been using a battery tender on every harley I have ever owned over the past fifteen years from Nov-Apr without a problem. Get a clue before you post.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's like this,

Mr. Shade tree cannot diagnose and get parts provided under warranty. Even if he is right.

To file a warranty claim; in this case your battery, the bike would need to be received at the stealership, a Repair Order written, the the bike would be dispatched to a "trained technician". He would then VERIFY the complaint, diagnose by hooking up their battery tester, load test the battery, charging and starting system, provide a print out with a special code on it to be attached to the Repair Order, OEM battery given to the tech from the parts department, battery replaced, old part returned to the parts department for a RMA, time spent, technician findings and a Labor Operation documented on the Repair Order so that the stealership can be reimbursed for the parts and labor by the manufacturer.

This is the way it works under warranty for ANY PRODUCT. Expecting otherwise makes you unreasonable.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cnydynarider
I've only been using a battery tender on every harley I have ever owned over the past fifteen years from Nov-Apr without a problem. Get a clue before you post.
And, for hundreds of years, everybody thought the world was flat...

You put a tender on your battery in November and didn't take it off or crank your bike until April? Either you are Bullshitting us or you are one lucky ****...

Ever hear of Marathon batteries? How about Yuasa? Interstate? I went to all of their training classes back in in my aviation days...FAA requirement...I have no idea what you think you know or why, but I do know what I am talking about...

Hey, but like I said, it is your money to waste as you see fit...

Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see this a lot on here, were people live XX hours away from the dealer and its too far to make the trip.(first it makes me wonder where you live cuz I have 4 dealers within an hour). More inportantly, it goes to shoe the value of a good dealer, a dealer that will take care of you and warranty claims, even if your bike has been modified.

OP, you have to somewhat understand why the dealer was requesting you to bring the bike in(since your in the service industry) imagine how many people try to get new batteries after a year when there battery is still good. In my experience, rules are in place because someone tried to pull some sneaky **** and have things go there way. I would say this is more of a dealer thing and not bad batteries from moco. No product/service is perfect