Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues with MOCO.................

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Issues with MOCO.................

So my 2013 FXDF's battery took a dump today................

I pulled the battery and took it to the local auto part's to have it tested, battey failed the cca test, no good replace battery...........

I called the stealership where I purchased the bike and explained what was going on and that the bike was dead and non mobil and the battery fail the test.
I asked how to go about getting the battery replaced under warranty, they asked me to bring the bike in so they could runs some test's !!!!!!!!

I said test's, what kind of test's would you need to run on the bike for a bad battery ????????? (Mind you I have a Thundermax auto tuner, so I had already scanned for code's and no code's). BAD BATTERY !!!!!!!!!

I was told I would get a call back to let me know what could be done since I could not get the bike into their shop.
45 minutes later I received a return phone call, bad news I was told I could not bring just the battery I had to bring the bike in to warrant the battery.
They told me that I could come in and pick up a loaner battery go back home install the battery and bring the bike back for them to run their test's and see if the battery was bad. Needless to say the stealership is 1 hour driving time one way with no traffic, add 1/2 hour easy if there was any traffic.
By this time I was enraged and told them I would just go and purchase a new battery and that I understood exactly their policies ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is WOW, I paid $18,000 for a bike and a 2 year warranty and I can not even get a battery replaced, what a F_____g Joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand they want to make sure that you are on the up and up, but really over a battery that probably cost them $50.00 and this was the stealership where I purchased the bike...............

So I ended up purchasing a nice AMG motorcycle battery (exact match) from my local auto parts store with a 1 year warranty and I do not have to bring them the bike when and if the battery goes bad, just bring it back and no question's asked I will get a new battery............. and no pro-rated deal either...........

Sure hope nothing else goes wrong ??????????????

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely opted out of a HD warranty when I bought my bike for a few reasons but this type of thing is one of them. They seem shocked I wanted no warranty (unless free) and it seems like most people get one. But I knew I was going to modify most things on the bike so they'd say that's why stuff failed and probably wouldn't honor the warranty when stuff breaks.

In your case, a battery, c'mon! $18k bike and you are willing to bring them the battery they should've just said "come down, done deal".

Old 09-13-2014, 05:48 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Your complaint has no merit. I don't know what business you are in, but service businesses do not operate that way. No way should you ever expect them, or ANY automotive dealer, car, truck, or otherwise, to provide you with a warranty battery based solely on your say-so without testing the charging system. They offered you a loaner and you blew up and declined because they were too far away and you would have to drive to them to get it? WTF is up with that? Did you expect them to bring it too you? You couldn't borrow or rent a trailer and haul it in? Dude, it really appears to me that you were just looking for a fight. I have been in that situation with customers who just want to whine and complain many times and I would have very politely and professionally told you to pissoff. That they didn't speaks volumes about their professionalism.

Peace, out

Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
I completely opted out of a HD warranty when I bought my bike for a few reasons but this type of thing is one of them. They seem shocked I wanted no warranty (unless free) and it seems like most people get one. But I knew I was going to modify most things on the bike so they'd say that's why stuff failed and probably wouldn't honor the warranty when stuff breaks.

In your case, a battery, c'mon! $18k bike and you are willing to bring them the battery they should've just said "come down, done deal".
Really? This is hard to believe. I spent $1100 on an extended warranty on a 2001 FXD with 30K miles on it because I was not familiar with the TC engine and drive train. I recouped my $1100 within the first year with the stator replaced, the voltage regulator replaced (twice...got a defective one the first time that lasted almost a year), the IPB replaced, primary chain tensioner replaced, cam tensioners replaced, start and run switches replaced, the entire clutch replaced because the starter hung because of the bad switches...and they just adjusted the clutch again because I asked them to...and not once did the dealer refuse to honor the warranty, even after I made my own personal modifications.

If you are going to modify the engine with cams, pistons, heads, etc, or modify the steering with big-*** apes, or some other radical BS, you should NEVER expect the dealer to warranty your work, even if you are a frigging expert. It just ain't done that way, and for a reason.

This doesn't seem to be so much about the dealers, it really looks like it is more about your own personal issues with dealers, plain and simple. You go in acting like an *******, expected to be treated like one. Just say'n...

Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had a similar experience with my 06 (I was 18 months into my 2 year warranty)
I was out of town on vacation with my wife and got stuck in Ely Nevada with a bad battery. Found someone with a battery charger and after charging for a couple of hours, got my bike to start and cut my vacation short and headed back home. Charging system checked out, so I tried to bring in my bad battery to the dealer and just get it exchanged and was told the same thing. The person at the parts counter told me "I could just purchase a new battery and the price wasn't that bad it's only $120"
I went back home and reinstalled the original bad battery and charged it to bring my Bike to the dealer. I talked to the service writer and explained what was going on and after the bike sits overnight the battery won't start the bike (even if I disconnected the battery cable, which eliminated any possibility of a electrical draw killing the battery)
I get a call from the service writer 90 minutes after dropping my bike off and he tells me the battery and charging system checked out fine. Once again I told him "It has to sit overnight for the problem to occur"
The next morning I get another call from the service writer telling me that they had the battery on a charger overnight and it started up fine and all was good. At that point I started getting irritated and asked him "do you listen to what I am saying or am I talking to a friggin wall"
Once again the bike sat there and after the 3rd day of going through this bs I get a call and the service writer told me the battery checked out bad (duh) and would be done by the end of the day. When I went to pick up my bike (now that my vacation was shot to hell)
The service writer I was dealing with was no where to be seen and the person that returned my bike to me told me that they have to have a bad test that is printed out from the tester in order to get a warranty claim from Harley due to batteries that are submitted as bad and aren't. Needless to say when my 2 year warranty ran out I never stepped foot in the dealer again.

Last edited by Hal64hd; 09-13-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Really? This is hard to believe. I spent $1100 on an extended warranty on a 2001 FXD with 30K miles on it because I was not familiar with the TC engine and drive train. I recouped my $1100 within the first year with the stator replaced, the voltage regulator replaced (twice...got a defective one the first time that lasted almost a year), the IPB replaced, primary chain tensioner replaced, cam tensioners replaced, start and run switches replaced, the entire clutch replaced because the starter hung because of the bad switches...and they just adjusted the clutch again because I asked them to...and not once did the dealer refuse to honor the warranty, even after I made my own personal modifications.

If you are going to modify the engine with cams, pistons, heads, etc, or modify the steering with big-*** apes, or some other radical BS, you should NEVER expect the dealer to warranty your work, even if you are a frigging expert. It just ain't done that way, and for a reason.

This doesn't seem to be so much about the dealers, it really looks like it is more about your own personal issues with dealers, plain and simple. You go in acting like an *******, expected to be treated like one. Just say'n...

whoa! the aggression! What in the world makes you think I walked into a dealership like an *******? I never have or never will walk in anywhere acting like an *******. Not in my nature.

I guess in all my years of owning stuff and buying warranties I really only needed to use it once and that one time I did it was a struggle. It's a gamble but whatever, I'm sure I'll be just fine.

A warranty on a bike with 30k miles makes more sense to me (as in your case) although I would never buy one with that many miles. That's just me.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Default Who The F___ do you thnk you are ?????????????

Your complaint has no merit. I don't know what business you are in, but service businesses do not operate that way. No way should you ever expect them, or ANY automotive dealer, car, truck, or otherwise, to provide you with a warranty battery based solely on your say-so without testing the charging system. They offered you a loaner and you blew up and declined because they were too far away and you would have to drive to them to get it? WTF is up with that? Did you expect them to bring it too you? You couldn't borrow or rent a trailer and haul it in? Dude, it really appears to me that you were just looking for a fight. I have been in that situation with customers who just want to whine and complain many times and I would have very politely and professionally told you to pissoff. That they didn't speaks volumes about their professionalism.

Peace, out
I am in a service business and the customer come first, and any inconvenience the customer experience's come's first, and I am always jonny on the spot to make sure that they are taken care of to matter what.....
When a battery that holds 13.12 volt's steady but will not start the bike and was tested to show that it only pulled 250 cca and I just could not bring the battery to them for them to test and make a determination is a problem in your eyes, you my friend are the one that is mentally challenged..

I was totally polite and respectful to the service department at all times, was I unhappy absolutely, and if you read my thread there were no codes thrown at all, battery just died.
Maybe you are just plain stupid !!!!!!!!!!! You are the one that blew up in just responding to someones thread and the fact you paid an absolute god awful amount of money for an extended warranty...... I just wonder if you are choking at the same time you are talking.......LMAO..............

Oh and by the way the only fight I am looking for is with YOU my friend, you are a IDIOT ................ Maybe you just need some lovin, but with an attitude like your's that may not help at all................

Old 09-13-2014, 06:43 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
whoa! the aggression! What in the world makes you think I walked into a dealership like an *******? I never have or never will walk in anywhere acting like an *******. Not in my nature.

I guess in all my years of owning stuff and buying warranties I really only needed to use it once and that one time I did it was a struggle. It's a gamble but whatever, I'm sure I'll be just fine.

A warranty on a bike with 30k miles makes more sense to me (as in your case) although I would never buy one with that many miles. That's just me.
Sorry about the aggressive rant on you...my bad. I think maybe it was a carry over from the OP's rant. His was way out there in La La land.

Until I purchased my SG, I had never once bought an extended warranty on anything I had ever purchased, new or used. The only reason I purchased the 2-year extended warranty on this SG is because, like I said, I was not familiar with this engine or drive train. The bike had 30K miles on it and it looked like it had sat in a shed or carport under a cover for years. I got a good deal on the bike so I went ahead and got the warranty. The bike was still blue-booked for more than I paid even with the warranty included. That was a good call that turned out to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. The warranty work alone was worth nearly twice what I paid for it including my deductibles.

I will not extend the warranty when it expires in December because I pretty much got everything taken care of that are known problems with this year and model and I have the tools and a garage, and I am a good enough mechanic and technician to tear into it myself from here.

Now, I have had a couple of really disappointing transactions...like not listening to what I am saying or needing done or doing crappy work...with the dealer service center that really set me off, and although it was not easy, I managed to step back and cool down and discuss my concerns politely and rationally and they have stepped up to the plate and taken care of the problems to my satisfaction. That is all anyone should expect.

Back to the topic, expecting the dealer to provide a battery under warranty without any justification other than the owner demands it is not reasonable.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:50 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Default Exactly what I did not want to deal with............

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
I have had a similar experience with my 06 (I was 18 months into my 2 year warranty)
I was out of town on vacation with my wife and got stuck in Ely Nevada with a bad battery. Found someone with a battery charger and after charging for a couple of hours, got my bike to start and cut my vacation short and headed back home. Charging system checked out, so I tried to bring in my bad battery to the dealer and just get it exchanged and was told the same thing. The person at the parts counter told me "I could just purchase a new battery and the price wasn't that bad it's only $120"
I went back home and reinstalled the original bad battery and charged it to bring my Bike to the dealer. I talked to the service writer and explained what was going on and after the bike sits overnight the battery won't start the bike (even if I disconnected the battery cable, which eliminated any possibility of a electrical draw killing the battery)
I get a call from the service writer 90 minutes after dropping my bike off and he tells me the battery and charging system checked out fine. Once again I told him "It has to sit overnight for the problem to occur"
The next morning I get another call from the service writer telling me that they had the battery on a charger overnight and it started up fine and all was good. At that point I started getting irritated and asked him "do you listen to what I am saying or am I talking to a friggin wall"
Once again the bike sat there and after the 3rd day of going through this bs I get a call and the service writer told me the battery checked out bad (duh) and would be done by the end of the day. When I went to pick up my bike (now that my vacation was shot to hell)
The service writer I was dealing with was no where to be seen and the person that returned my bike to me told me that they have to have a bad test that is printed out from the tester in order to get a warranty claim from Harley due to batteries that are submitted as bad and aren't. Needless to say when my 2 year warranty ran out I never stepped foot in the dealer again.
Thanks for the post brother, this is exactly what I did not want to deal with what you went threw.......... Not worth it over a battery............... When you deal with any other battery supplier you take them the battery if its bad you get a new one they do not ask to check you charging system ........??????
It is pretty easy to determine if a battery is good or not and if it is holding a charge but not pulling under load, it is pretty simple at that point.........

Glad to hear you got taken care of, even if it was 3 days later.........

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 09-13-2014, 06:54 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,651 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Back to the topic, expecting the dealer to provide a battery under warranty without any justification other than the owner demands it is not reasonable.
x2...
I would have got the bike running and rode it to the dealer

Quick Reply: Battery Issues with MOCO.................