Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD&G Customs Solo Bag Soft vs. Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 PM
bsdoig
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BAD&G Customs Solo Bag Soft vs. Hard?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a solo bag from BAD&G customs. I've searched and searched on the difference between the hard vs. soft leather and can't make a decision. I also haven't seen any recent post regarding the quality of the recent soft leather. I know he had a bad batch of leather back in 2012. Has anyone recently purchased the soft leather bag and how is it holding up? Any opinions/pics would help!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 PM
kchaile
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Soft style #3 for my '13 Bob. Very High quality and great service. The style 3 is relatively small and triangular shaped (did not have to relocate side license plates) so the soft version was more than sufficient. I would guess if you got a bigger bag, you might want to consider the hard version.

Attached Thumbnails BAD&G Customs Solo Bag Soft vs. Hard?-image.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
bsdoig
Advanced

Originally Posted by kchaile
I bought the Soft style #3 for my '13 Bob. Very High quality and great service. The style 3 is relatively small and triangular shaped (did not have to relocate side license plates) so the soft version was more than sufficient. I would guess if you got a bigger bag, you might want to consider the hard version.
Yeah I'm currently looking at the DL02BL so I guess that would be considered mid size. How long have you had your bag? Looks great btw!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM
kchaile
Advanced

I have only had it a couple months. I keep the bike in the garage and don't commute with it so it is generally a fair weather bike. I would think if you were commuting, taking long trips, or exposing it to a lot of weather - i might spend the extra money for the hard bag option. For my use, the soft should hold up a long time.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kchaile
I have only had it a couple months. I keep the bike in the garage and don't commute with it so it is generally a fair weather bike. I would think if you were commuting, taking long trips, or exposing it to a lot of weather - i might spend the extra money for the hard bag option. For my use, the soft should hold up a long time.
So you didn't have to relocate signals or plate? Did you have to buy a mount of some sort or is it all straps?

Looks great. Think it would hold enough stuff for a casual day trip, water bottle, etc?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I have one of his hard leather bags & a hard battery bag...great stuff! I've had one of his soft bags before & they're nice, but he hard leather is way better.
No turn signal relocate...they strap on around the fender struts with leather straps similar to a thin leather belt & bottom attaches to the belt guard on left side & around swingarm on right side. You can take them off/on in 5 minutes.
Get the quick detach fasteners for the flap..

Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM
bsdoig
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I have one of his hard leather bags & a hard battery bag...great stuff! I've had one of his soft bags before & they're nice, but he hard leather is way better.
No turn signal relocate...they strap on around the fender struts with leather straps similar to a thin leather belt & bottom attaches to the belt guard on left side & around swingarm on right side. You can take them off/on in 5 minutes.
Get the quick detach fasteners for the flap..
Do the quick detach fasteners seem like they will hold up? I hate to spend $200+ on a bag to have the plastic quick detach fasteners break.

Last edited by bsdoig; 09-16-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bsdoig
So the quick detach fasteners seem like they will hold up? I hate to spend $200+ on a bag to have the plastic quick detach fasteners break.
I've never had an issue with them...they're pretty heavy made. On the solo bags I would suggest with going with the wider strap/fastener...I think mine are 1 1/2" wide.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
kchaile
Advanced

Originally Posted by robbyville
So you didn't have to relocate signals or plate? Did you have to buy a mount of some sort or is it all straps?

Looks great. Think it would hold enough stuff for a casual day trip, water bottle, etc?
With certain models you don't have to relocate the signals or plate. Specifically the #3 model is smaller/triangular and you can leave your passenger pegs, signals, and plate. It is smaller but will still hold a decent amount of stuff. It is held on by leather straps that seem like they will hold up ok.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Two of my buddies have it on their bikes and it awesome and holds lot. I have their tool bad mount by the voltage reg and it's great! Nice thick leather.

Quick Reply: BAD&G Customs Solo Bag Soft vs. Hard?