Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Rims Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

sandblasting would be better than sanding if you can, and don't forget to use an etching(bare metal) primer(preferably a zinc based primer then regular primer). You should price getting them powdered, you might be surprised how cheap it is to do.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM
ArcaneEdge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
sandblasting would be better than sanding if you can, and don't forget to use an etching(bare metal) primer(preferably a zinc based primer then regular primer). You should price getting them powdered, you might be surprised how cheap it is to do.

I know it's better but I think I am going to stick with my route. Yes I have etching primer. I know powder coating would be better and more durable but I am sure I will be satisfied with my end results.

Looking at the picture below of the top triple tree I sanded, it will be ok to paint it entirely even where the forks would go in there? From the pics I have seen some people actually paint their triple tree on their bike (I wouldn't dare do that) and others paint it all. This kinda ties in with my original question about the surface on the rim where the rotor touches and should I paint that or not. Since I am not painting that logic would make me think not to paint it on the triple tree but that would require some good taping off. Thoughts?

And I am replacing the handlebar bushings so I can paint over those no problem.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Just remove the riser bushings, if you paint over it then remove the bushings later it could peel some of the paint off

Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 PM
ArcaneEdge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Just remove the riser bushings, if you paint over it then remove the bushings later it could peel some of the paint off
Thanks I thought that pipe in the middle was stationary but I was wrong. You can see I'm learning as I go along here lol. I removed them and should be much better for painting now. So the bottom tree is all that's left for me to prep. The and the bearings are still on it (bearing are being replaced obviously if you see them in the pic below). Should I just tape over them to paint? I don't see that is easy to remove.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
For a cleaner look you could remove the weights before painting and then add Dyna-beads through the valve stem. You would be better off to powder coat the wheels, it is far more durable and will adhere much better.
If you just paint over them the shop will just have to remove them and mess up your paint next time you have a tire put on.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
ArcaneEdge
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cheeto
If you just paint over them the shop will just have to remove them and mess up your paint next time you have a tire put on.
I decided to remove it for a better clean look but appreciate the input

Old 09-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Jimmie600
6th Gear

At the very least, mark the location of the weights on the tire, then remove them, paint the wheel then put them back on. Otherwise, when its time for new tires, you will likely end up with weights in a different location, leaving an unpainted spot on your wheel.