Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commander 2s vs. Scorchers Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:42 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commander 2s vs. Scorchers Anyone ?

Would really like to here from someone who's had both. I do commute with the bike so need a tire that can take rain, some miles, and throttle down twistys on the weekends. I know, "this guy wants a do it all tire.", not really but would like my purchase to not fall really short on any one thing.

Bike came with the scorchers and i really like them but paying a dealer premium not likely too happen. Trying to decide if I wanna change makes or possibly even brands.

Have had the shinkos on my last bike and loved em but traded off with a little less than 5k on them so never got to see there wear limits but don't want to possibly be changing tires all the time either.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:48 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not run scorchers, but as a general rule....sticky performance tires do NOT last. The Commander II seems to be a pretty good compromise. I went from my Metzeler 880s to the MCII and they feel just as good in the corners, and I know they are lasting longer. Have not wore them out yet...so dont know my final mileage, but they are a good tire.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:05 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Run both. I get the same grip and cornering in the commander IIs and they last twice as long. Run them in all weathers and they work great. Just be sure to check tire pressure and keep them aired up to proper air pressure. They work better at spec.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed the OE Scorchers on my 2010 FXDC at 9300 miles. Two things I didn't like about them were the buzzing I felt in a turn from the HD logo molded into the shoulders of the tire, and they also followed every seam in the road. You'll be much happier with the Commanders. I have approx. 5k miles on them now, and although I don't see a big difference in the handling, I'm alot happier with the Commanders.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had the Scorchers on more than 1500 miles, but that was enough for me. I went with the Commander II's and like them much more than the others. The Scorchers have that hollowed out bar and shield logo which sets up a pretty good vibration when cornering. The Commander II's are a far superior tire IMO.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

My sporty came with scorchers and I can't quite remember when I changed out. It may have been around the 8-9k range. I put a commander 2 on and ran that until a traded the bike at 11k. I really liked the commander and when I traded it still looked brand new

You would be crazy to go back with the oem scorcher. The commander is a better tire and I think I paid something like half the cost of a scorcher when I ordered mine from amazon

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain

I didn't have Commander IIs on my Road King long enough to say how long they last but they did handle well rain or shine. The Scorchers on my Street Bob seem to handle just as well but I don't think they're gonna last as long. I've got about 6000 miles on this set and looks like I might get another 3k on them if I'm lucky. When these are shot I'm going back to Commander IIs

Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
JustsoIcanupvotethis
Advanced

2013 Super Glide here that ran the original Scorcher rear to 8500 and went with the Commander II until 24000. Front Scorcher went to 20000 and replaced it with a Commander II as well. I really think my bike handles better now with the Commander II's than it ever did with the Scorchers.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I put commander IIs on my Superglide from Dunlops. Rear now has 5K on it and front has 900 miles since Monday. I like them. $253 for the pair shipped Rocky Mtn Atv.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Default 17,000 miles & still going

My FXDB came with the scorchers. They were worn out & changed them at 10k miles. I love the MC 2's. I think I should be able to at least get 20k miles out of them. I'm at 17k now. I have plenty of tread left, maybe I'll get the claimed 25k?

Quick Reply: Commander 2s vs. Scorchers Anyone ?