Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Front cylinder not firing...???

Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front cylinder not firing...???

Hey guys.....first post but have used this sight for reference often....thanks!

Have an 02 RK Classic SPFI. Bought with 16k miles, put about 1500 on it and sputtered out on me. Front cylinder is not firing.

Well, trouble codes are/were 15, 14, 23, 24.

I have replaced front fuel injector, ignition coil, engine temp sensor. I have rung out (checked with fluke for conductivity) all wires between these sensors and the ECM plug. I also have brand new spark plugs and wires.(last thing I put on) I also wiped off crank pos sensor.

Only thing I have not changed is intake air temp sensor. Didn't think that would shut down front cylinder.

I am absolutley at WITS END

Not really sure how to differentiate between active and historic codes but the above codes are the only ones I have seen - jumping 1 - 2 connector @ diagnostic plug and reading engine light flashes.

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!!

Thanks, Pete.

(Least I still have my CARBED sportster and it runs great)

Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i can remember:
14=ET sensor low voltage or open
15=IAT sensor low voltage
23=front injector open/low/high
24=front ign coil open/shorted/intermitten combustion.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Default been there....done that

Originally Posted by stevelonewolf
From what i can remember:
14=ET sensor low voltage or open
15=IAT sensor low voltage
23=front injector open/low/high
24=front ign coil open/shorted/intermitten combustion.
Yeah....it's kick'n my hind quarters.....Changed all above sensors except the IAT ( intake air temp ).
I didn't think the IAt fault would shut down the front cylinder?? Not sure?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM
donovann2o
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have access to another ECM plug it in and see if cures it. I had almost the same problem and found out my ECM was faulty...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by donovann2o
if you have access to another ECM plug it in and see if cures it. I had almost the same problem and found out my ECM was faulty...
Were you able to do that yourself, or does the dealership have to do it? I much rather do my own work, but I'm about to trailer it to the dealer.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
donovann2o
Intermediate

yes you can do it yourself....its as easy as unplugging your existing ecm and plugging in another. Just try to find the somewhat same year and model of your bike. I had a 2004 elec glide and used a 2006 street glide ecm....worked fine for what I was using it for. Its not like your going to be blazing down the road at full throttle with the borrowed ecm. I do recommend taking it down the road so you can get a little load on the motor. Let me know how it works out! If that doesnt cure it check the plugs...haha..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

Just some follow-up:
Bike is at the dealership. When I dropped it off, told them all I had done and all symptoms. They called today and said it was the ECM. They were surprised....didn't think it would be ECM. New ECM and oil/filter change to the tune of $565....

.....But i will have bike back soon>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

OK...got the RK back today from dealer.....new ECM.....ran it for about a half hour and she stalls at decel to the point of stalling out unless I catch it and stay on the throttle a little.
Pretty much, after running, every time I stop, she wants to stall. If I let her stall....shut all switches off and go through start procedure....she starts and idles just fine.

Is this a Mapping problem?

I have supertrapp slip ons and it looks like an upgraded intake filter, is this a "stage one".

Should I have a "stage one" map in the ecm?

Dealer told me at pickup....."stock 2002 RK map in new ecm"

before new ecm.....bike had just a little "popping" out of exhaust on deceleration.

Now.....loud exhaust backfiring....especially when coming off the freeway ramp decel from 75 mph.

Also....when she stalls, backfiring through throttle body/air filter intake.

No engine light...so I'm assuming no fault codes

Shouldn't the Dealer have mapped it for what I have or just put in a "stock" map?

Any experienced input would be great...thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 AM
deucer02
Cruiser

If you paid $565 I'd take it back and explain to them the symptoms. If I understand you correctly, it only does this after being ridden for awhile correct? If so, engine has attained operating temperature and during deceleration is when the problem occurs. Backfire, popping and irregular idle, correct? Last thing touched was ECM and mapping besides the Sensors you replaced? Have you checked to see if it is still throwing codes? If you have no codes then take it back, but tell them they need to ride it when the engine is at full operating temp.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Default really FRUSTRATED!

OK, Got bike back from dealer with new ECM and bikes low idle/stalling when I come to a stop....

So before I sent it to dealer, because of fault code, I changed out the front injector. When I pulled the EFI module, I re-installed it with same old gaskets.

Well, today I took my time, pulled the EFI Module, installed new intake gaskets.
I also replaced the IAC with a new one and made sure the IAC port was clean.

I also set my Throttle/Idle cable per manual.

So..., I Go out for a "Test" ride and bike low idles/stalls at stops. If I throttle it a little....shes stays running. When I pull in the driveway, and stay on the throttle for a while, sometimes I can ease off the throttle and she will stay at idle, sometimes she will low idle and stall.

Every time I shut off the switches, and go through start up procedure, she idles fine at start up.

While I am in fourth or fifth gear, cruising at 60mph +/-, and pull clutch, bike idles fine while I'm rolling along......no stalling. Only when I come to stops, between 1st, 2nd, or at N.

I figure if it were a fuel issue, it would stall whenever I pull the clutch and let the bike go to idle.??

ECM Map issue? Anyone?
Anything else I could check?
I will check the IAC sensor wire continuity to the ECM plug tomorrow to see if I may have a bad wire.

I'm fixin to get a tuner and would much rather avoid the dealership while I try to locate a reputable dyno/tuner in the future. Don't want to spend any more $$$$ if it may be something that I have overlooked.

Which EFI tuners can I use to adjust the IAC and low idle/ lower throttle areas? PCx?, PCIII?, TTS? tmax?

I did not have this issue before the ECM went out.

So far have replaced:

ECM
IAC
Spark plugs - less than 50 miles on them
Spark plug wires
ignition coil
engine temp sensor
front fuel injector
EFI module intake gaskets

Have checked:

Battery connection and power at battery
sounds for leaking fuel noises in tank when turning on run switch
cleaned crank position sensor
binding in throttle cable
put high quality Amsoil fuel injector cleaner in tank
cleaned EFI module with carb cleaner thouroughly and let dry

I have supertrapp slipons and upgraded intake....all else is stock.

Also: Bike runs great......until I come to a stop. It may be backfiring on decel just a little more than before the breakdown. Otherwise...runs great!

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY startin to pull my hair out.......

BTW, weather has been absolutely great here also...might as well be raining!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front cylinder not firing...???