Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Solenoid Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Cal516
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid Clicks

I searched through the forums for this issue but didn't find it so I apologize if it has been visited. I was having earlier trouble with my bike starting. My starter relay would click but it would not crank the starter. It was intermittent. It worked at random times but it was a roll of the dice. I had replaced the starter and solenoid (a premature move) and that did not solve the issue. I recently swapped relays, and relay harness to include all of the ground connections. I also cleaned up all the ground points along with the battery cables themselves. Also the battery is fully charged and has been load tested. I also checked voltage at the solenoid connection when cranking and it showed no voltage drop. The manual says try and "Jump start" the solenoid. I am assuming that mean apply 12 volts at the solenoid which I did and I am still getting it to click but it won't crank the bike. It was fine before I messed with all the wiring but now I have an issue. Did it get fried in the process....? Hope that is not the case...

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like it could be the solenoid, however, you say you replace it and the starter, you might check to make sure the starter is grounding against the mounting boss and bolts, and the solenoid case is also getting a good ground.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Tell us the model and year of the bike...

Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Cal516
Intermediate

It is a 1989 softail custom

Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Gertn
Stage III
Default I got similar problem

I am new to this forum, not sure if I do this right. I got a 1998 sportster 1200 with similar problem, I can hear the starter relay click and the solenoid clonk but it does not turn the engine, however, if I put it in gear an turn the engine just a little so the flywheel moves it will start without a problem, So the battery does have enough power. Any suggestions?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Cal516
Intermediate

I am not sure if you have the same issue however what fixed my problem was replacing the starter relay, harness, and all the connectors going to the starter and the battery. I cleaned up all of the points that the starter grounded to and have not had an issue since. I also read in other forums that the issue I was having, while not necessarily common but something that is nearly impossible to fix unless you get lucky like I said. So to alleviate any headaches in the future it is suggested that you install a push button directly to your starter and that way you can bypass everything from your start switch to your battery. You can pick up the buttons for about $40 or so....

Old 05-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Gertn
Stage III

Thanks Cal516 for your reply, I don't think my issue is power related as I do have power enough once I turn the engine a little by pushing the cycle in gear. Somehow that activates the starter. I was hoping someone had experienced the same issue, and found the solution. Spoke to a HD shop today and they suggested it being the starter coil that is getting bad, sounds reasonable, so I will try to find a new starter or solenoid. Again thanks for you reply.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Have you tried to crank motor with the clutch pulled in?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Charge the battery and have it load tested, an auto parts store will do this for free.

Clean all battery cable connections, both ends of each cable.

While the cables are disconnected, remove the end of the starter solenoid and inspect the contacts, if they are burned or pitted, replace them.

You can find parts for these starters at a starter repair shop for a lot less coin than the dealer charges.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Gertn
Stage III

it will start with the clutch pulled, once I have rolled it in gear to find the right spot where it will engage. I am pulling the solenoid today to see what's going on. Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: Solenoid Clicks