Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical issue w 2008 Fat Bob. Detailed write up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electrical issue w 2008 Fat Bob. Detailed write up.

Having an issue with my FXDF. Not sure what the problem might be.

First, the bike ...

No major electrical system modifications. I changed the headlights from the twin bucket to single bucket, added a pigtail for charger/12v outlet and a connection for heated gear. The bike's run for a while w these w no issues. I recently installed a used Badland's run/stop/turn module that seems to work fine.

Issue ...

(1) "Chuggs" like a near dead battery when I go to start it

(2) Sometimes, when I turn the ignition switch, I get nothing. No power at all

(3) The negative post of the battery got REALLY hot. Hot enough to melt the lead

(4) When off, a amp draw test (putting ammeter between negative battery post and negative lead) shows it's drawing 107 mA when everything is off. The HD manual says it shouldn't be drawing more that 7-8 mA when everything is powered down (that 7-8 is the security system spedo, etc)

What I have Checked ...

(1) The negative battery terminal cable was a touch loose. This, I think explains the heat and sometimes zero power

(2) The battery look like it is fine ... 12.79 volts across the posts. Drops to 11+ volts under load when I start the bike. Seems to charge just fine

(3) Stator and voltage regulator seem fine ... 14.1 volts across the posts at idle, 14.21-14.25 revving the engine

(4) Tested Badlands device for short to ground. With it plugged in, the mA draw test shows 107 mA current. Then I took it out and connected the rear wiring harness together without it ... same 107 mA. The disconnected rear harness. Same 107 mA draw. Concluded the Badlands unit is not the problem.

(5) Then I tested all the circuits. I pulled fuses 1 at a time ... when I pulled the fuse marked "battery", the mA reading went down from 107 to under 7. (Tried this with the Badlands unit in and out and rear harness connected and not)

According to the wiring diagram, the only place the "battery" wire goes is the turn signal and security module. I couldn't get to it and figured that I'd just have to take it to a mechanic.

When I put the bike all back together ... the mA test went down to 1.5 mA! Much lower than the 7-8 max mA in the service manual.

Maybe a loose wire somewhere under the seat?

If it's the wire connected to the "battery" fuse ... what might be the drain there?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start with the gear you added & changed. Melted battery post & main fuse didn't break?
It's easy to mix up wiring when installing new gear.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:18 PM
voudoujoe
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. Worth looking at. Each of the battery connections from the gear are fused in the connection - but when I looked yesterday, I had forgotten that I didn't have one handy and jumped it with a wire ... so maybe that was a problem. Worth checking. I think it was the loose connection that melted the post though. Those can get super hot super quick.

I am still wondering where the "battery" fuse leads to that could be drawing 100 mA. That'll kill my battery overnight every time.