Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical experts help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 AM
greenbax
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical experts help please!

I'm a novice mechanic and I will be installing a new custom fender kit on my slim. Part of the process requires you relocate the ECM by folding it over so it's on top of the battery, then place the cover over that. The maker recommends to Velcro or zip tie the ECM so it is secured.

My question is this: are there any potential problems or danger with an ECM coming in contact, (or close contact) to the battery? They say no, and I trust them, but just in case I wanted to run it by the experts here on had forums to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by greenbax
I'm a novice mechanic and I will be installing a new custom fender kit on my slim. Part of the process requires you relocate the ECM by folding it over so it's on top of the battery, then place the cover over that. The maker recommends to Velcro or zip tie the ECM so it is secured.

My question is this: are there any potential problems or danger with an ECM coming in contact, (or close contact) to the battery? They say no, and I trust them, but just in case I wanted to run it by the experts here on had forums to be sure.

Thanks in advance!
All touring bike ECMs are located on top of battery with a 1/4" piece of plastic separating them

Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a auxiliary terminal break and fall off of positive post at battery. It left the positive batter cable loose on post. Killed bike. When I went to start bike--no headlight, no taillights, Fuel pump not ramping up. No ignition. Neutral light not working. Blinkers not working except on alarm. Battery is good, terminals clean. I have power to circuit beaker both sides. Haven't pulled ignition switch yet. TSSM or ECM?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM
2007z71
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Had a auxiliary terminal break and fall off of positive post at battery. It left the positive batter cable loose on post. Killed bike. When I went to start bike--no headlight, no taillights, Fuel pump not ramping up. No ignition. Neutral light not working. Blinkers not working except on alarm. Battery is good, terminals clean. I have power to circuit beaker both sides. Haven't pulled ignition switch yet. TSSM or ECM?
did you ever figure this problem out? I am having the same problem?

Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 AM
CoyoteQuick
Supporter
Default Fuse?

Check the master fuse, it's separate from the fuse block, normally a 40amp. Use a test light and check both sides of the fuse as well as all other fuses and circuit breakers. Also, use yer nose close to fuse block for the burnt wire/copper smell. Remove battery and check for any burnt areas as well as around the starter solenoid.