Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Speedometer xl1200c '06

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 AM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer xl1200c '06

I'm stumped. I am trying to relocate my 4" speedometer to 03 deuce tank and console. Got it to fit right, but speedo does not light up upon key turn. (blank odometer, no backlights, key symbol, or engine symbol). I tried different speedo (same part# but it is used) so I can't be 100% sure that one works either. My indicator lights, which branch off the speedo harness, work fine. I removed tank and undid zips that hold main harness and giggled everything around with key on - all lights held steady. Tried pushing the speedo reset before, during and after key turn with run/off switch in both positions, not even a flicker. Bike starts up and runs fine. All signals work fine also. Except.... (this is the stumper):

Every once and while the flashers flash (I think its four times) when run switch is turned on after key is turned (or the other way around) - (Kinda like it does on a normal day when you didn't wait for symbols in speedo to go out) I wait a few moments and try again, then it doesn't flash. Later on it does. Is this trying to tell me to check something else?

Read and followed diagnostic section in manual, which led me to try a different speedo. I have checked continuity in speedo harness. Also checked connections of fuse, battery, and magic box under seat. I've been keeping it charged on tender through most of this process.

What am I missing? Or...where would you start on the next retry?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got it :)

Got both speedos to light up and show mileage. Hoo ray ! The source of error was in re-wiring packard connection on speedo harness. The re-wiring was done to free speedo connection and odometer reset button on harness from chrome speedometer backing plate. This plate messes up my mounting of my 4" sporty speedo into my deuce tank console. Yup, you read right. A deuce tank on my sporty is my solution of having the luxury a gas gauge on an '06 xl1200. It fits and looks better than a dyna WG tank and better than a heritage soft tail classic tank too. I'm 95% sure a rocker tank would be a direct bolt on to my new tank set up too. A $10K bike with no gas gauge option, geezy lo weezy.

Had to find pin numbering sequence of speedo packard connector in Clymer manual and cross reference this to schematics in HD manual. There's five schematics in HD manual, none of them, have the exact wire colors as my '06 1200 harness, but the closest one is found on page B-21. All my indicator lights have black wires. My speedo has a mileage re-instated sticker on it from previous owner, so its obvious someone's been in here before me. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see a sporty speedo mount, like mine came to me, anywhere. But it doesn't matter now, cause it is catalogued in my in my take-off department.

so part# 47403-04 makes a momentary servo sound when plugged into harness. It also makes this sound when key is turned on. I don't see a key light or an engine light on this one.

Part # 67403-04B makes no sound. It shows a key light light upon key turn, which goes out, and then comes back on, and then goes out again. A clock ( time of day) option is found when the odometer reset button is pushed 3 times. Anybody know how to set that? Procedure not found in either manual.