Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rear LED turn signals are getting current but are dark

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM
LeatherWolf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear LED turn signals are getting current but are dark

Upgraded the front and rear turn signals and the brake light to LEDs. Have tried this with zero, one and two load balancers, and everything lights up and flashes but the rear turn signals, which stay dark. But when I plug a bulb in, it lights up. Any ideas? I can't think two new turn signal units are both bad.

Got all of the equip for a HD dealer. The turn signals are Custom Dyanamics. The brake light and one of the load balancers is Kuryakin. I think the second load balancer is also Custom Dynamics.

I've installed both balancers under the seat in the harness headed to the rear fender.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeatherWolf
Upgraded the front and rear turn signals and the brake light to LEDs. Have tried this with zero, one and two load balancers, and everything lights up and flashes but the rear turn signals, which stay dark. But when I plug a bulb in, it lights up. Any ideas? I can't think two new turn signal units are both bad.

Got all of the equip for a HD dealer. The turn signals are Custom Dyanamics. The brake light and one of the load balancers is Kuryakin. I think the second load balancer is also Custom Dynamics.

I've installed both balancers under the seat in the harness headed to the rear fender.
Don't know about your bike, but on my wife's '13 Sportster the polarity for both rear turn signals was reversed. Bulbs don't care, but LED do not like that, being unidirectional. I traced the wires back to the main connector under the seat. Got each connector apart, switched wires and re-assembled them. Worked fine ever since...

I hope that helps
Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your ground is good. Just had an issue with my RG, no left signals, throwing a diagnostic code on the odometer. Close check on all the wiring found an open ground in the rear. Had power to the bulb, through the bulb, but then nothing.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by frankegd
Don't know about your bike, but on my wife's '13 Sportster the polarity for both rear turn signals was reversed. Bulbs don't care, but LED do not like that, being unidirectional. I traced the wires back to the main connector under the seat. Got each connector apart, switched wires and re-assembled them. Worked fine ever since...

I hope that helps
Thank you
FrankEGD
I think there is a strong possibility that you have the wiring reversed too. LED's must be forward biased to light up. They block current in the reverse direction.

Try reversing the wiring to the LED's.

Last edited by nhrider1; 11-22-2014 at 07:48 AM.