Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlights

Just completed installing the SoCalMotoGear HID headlights on my Road Glide. Actual installation is quite simple, but getting the faring back on is a PITA. The video shows them using some extra “Velcro” fasteners to hold the ballast block on to the outer faring. This is essential, otherwise you will (as I did) have wiring hanging loosely making it impossible to replace the outer faring. Once I used the Velcro to keep the ballast block in place, the faring was somewhat simpler to replace.

Just wish HD had a better method for hanging the outer faring in place, or least a guide to simplify getting the outer faring aligned. The faring showed lots or scratches around the notches where the faring hangs, so I’m not the only one to have problems with it.

Also, replaced the air temperature gauge at the same time.

Too cold to ride this evening. Supposed to be in the low 50’s tomorrow, maybe I’ll throw on a bunch of clothes and get out for a bit.

PS. the cost of the HID headlights is a lot more reasonable (1/4th) than the HD LED.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Depending on the year of your Road Glide and how the lights hook up you should be able to install them without pulling the fairing. I installed HID's (not SoCal Moto) without removing my fairing. I pulled the headlight trim and the two lights and installed through the head light holes. I think 2010 to current has this setup whereas earlier models you have to remove the fairing to get the lights out. I had a 2005 also and put on the new style headlights so I could change them without removing the fairing.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Found it was easier to hang the fairing if you pulled the headlight assembly, hung the fairing, then push the headlights back into place. You have to lineup the 3 adjuster screws with the green tabs, but it's not too hard.

As far as HIDs, they're illegal. I had a set but they really didn't do much, the 6000k color sort of washes out contrast. I ran an auxiliary wiring harness that feeds power direct from the battery, relay controlled, and a good set of H4 capsules, Phillips HB2s.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Tico-14SGS
Novice

Did you had the chance to test it yet? I order mine couple days ago and I'm wondering about how much difference between stock and HID on a bike, I have HID's on my car from factory and its night and day difference compare to my wife's car.