Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Schumacher XM1-5-CA BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER/MAINTAINER

Old 01-29-2015, 12:19 PM
illraptorskiUSMC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schumacher XM1-5-CA BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER/MAINTAINER

I read up a little bit on this topic but I am still uncertain so I figured I'd ask. I bought the Schumacher XM1-5-CA (1.5 AMP) battery trickle charger/maintainer. 20 bucks at Walmart. It has a "float mode". The manual says that once the battery is charged the "maintain/float mode monitoring" will keep the battery fully charged by delivering a small current when necessary. My questions are: Does this "float/maintain" mode basically become a tender which you can leave plugged in for an unlimited amount of time? I was looking at the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for 35 bucks at Walmart but do I need one if this Schumacher has a "float/maintain" mode? I have heard yes because the Deltran turns itself off and the Schumacher does not and can damage your battery and then I heard other things. Also, how often should I be charging/maintaining my battery? Every time it's in the garage? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please give extra info on this topic if you got it as I am new to riding and jut learning from scratch. Thanks a lot. -Dan

03' Sportster XLH 1200
Semper Fidelis

Old 01-29-2015, 12:24 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the deltran battery tender myself and i leave it on our bikes all the time when its in the garage... you will get several different answers here, but in many ways its to each their own

Old 02-01-2015, 06:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,474 Likes on 4,601 Posts

If it operates in a float mode, you are ok leaving it connected, no different than a battery tender.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:27 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Know you are probably not wanting to spend the money.
But I went to batteries Plus and got the Water proof battery tender 5 amp Charger.
It will charge and maintain a battery.
Had it a few years now.

Understand there is a difference in a charger and a maintainer.
A maintainer is not going to charge a battery. It maintains it.
A 5 amp charger will charge it and go into the float mode and maintain it.

And you don't want a trickle charger. You want a charger that goes into the float mode. And will do Glass Matt batteries too.
With Glass matt batteries you don't want it to be able to charge over 14.50 volts.
And if you throw 50 amps on a Glass Matt battery, you just killed it.

Last edited by cardboard; 02-13-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 AM
wadelg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schumacher battery maintainer is OK

I've used several of these $20 maintainers 24/7 for years on 2 motorcycles, 2 boat batteries, and a lawnmower. They work fine, and I average 7 years on my MC batteries. There are two models of Schumacher, a light-weight one without a transformer, and a heavier one with a transformer. I had one of the light-weight ones burn out after a few years, but none of the ones with transformers have failed. I'm trying out a Black & Decker maintainer that tests out OK with my voltmeter, but I've only had it on for 3 months so far, so I don't know how it will work long-term.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:05 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the Battery Tender Plus 5 amp that will charge a battery, not go over 14.50 amps and when the battery is charged it goes into the float mode.
This battery charger, maintainer is also good for Glass Matt batteries.
And its water Proof.