Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Headlight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Jimmy Alcumbrack McDaniel
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight wiring

Hello everyone...wondering if anyone could help. I know a little about electrical and am fine doing the work myself...but little things can stump me in my tracks. I am in the process of getting rid of alot of things on my 2001 XL1200 Sportster, basically ratting the bike out. I got rid of my horn/hi-lo beam switches and looking for a way to get the headlight to run continuously. I looked up the wiring diagram to find a solution, but can't figure out.

If anyone has any ideas or have done this very thing...I'd love to hear what you got.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 04-26-2015, 04:57 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have an ON/OFF switch for your light? My light is always on, if the bike is on. So what are you asking?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Jimmy Alcumbrack McDaniel
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never did have a switch and it was always on, but I think now that I got rid of the low/hi beam switch...that's why my light will not work. So the light has 3 wires....one from the fuse box and the other 2 from the switch (which I do not have anymore). I'm wondering if those wires are not connected to anything is the reason my light doesn't work...or I need to go with a new headlight that is only a low beam.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Alcumbrack McDaniel
I never did have a switch and it was always on, but I think now that I got rid of the low/hi beam switch...that's why my light will not work. So the light has 3 wires....one from the fuse box and the other 2 from the switch (which I do not have anymore). I'm wondering if those wires are not connected to anything is the reason my light doesn't work...or I need to go with a new headlight that is only a low beam.
What did you do with the wires that were hooked to the high low switch, do you think that might have something to do with the light not working:-)

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 04-26-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:09 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

As said, if the light stopped working after you removed the switch, then more then likely that's your problem. Get a multimeter, find the wire that supplies 12v when the bike is on, and try jumping it to the other two wires, one by one, seeing which activates the low beam. Once you find it, solder them together and waterproof heat shrink it.

I don't see the weight saving vs. the lack of a high beam switch being worth it. You also may risk never passing a state inspection again if you plan on doing that...

Old 04-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Alcumbrack McDaniel
I know a little about electrical and am fine doing the work myself..
A guy with zero electrical knowledge, ratting a bike out...you mean turning it into a POS.

Here`s what I think you should do:

Put the bike out of it`s misery, take it out and shoot it.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-29-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
A guy with zero electrical knowledge, ratting a bike out...you mean turning it into a POS.

Here`s what I think you should do:

Put the bike out of it`s misery, take it out and shoot it.
Dan it seem 1\4 of the post in here are guys who want to "simplify the wiring," and 1\4 the post are "PO butchered up the wiring how do I add turn signals"