Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Cruise control issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Cruise control issue.

Hi all, new to me 2007 Ultra Classic w/27k miles. In overall excellent condition but not ridden much in last couple of years. Like any used vehicle it has a few small issues that I am working through.
My current issue is the cruise control.
It tends to randomly drop out and/or not engage. The problem seemed to become worse after I gave the bike its first good cleaning and is definitely worse when riding 2 up.
So far I've run through the CC diagnostics from the FSM and everything checks out with the possible exception of the VSS which gave me a fail on one run through. The speedo works as it should. I've also pulled all the covers off and verified that all connections I can get to are firmly connected and there are no pinched wires.
I have tried to run the "dropout" codes (bike and cruise off, handlebar control held to set, turn on ignition) but I'm not getting any response from the cruise set light. It's supposed to flash dropout codes but is not doing anything.
So, any ideas on what else to do or try?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Hi all, new to me 2007 Ultra Classic w/27k miles. In overall excellent condition but not ridden much in last couple of years. Like any used vehicle it has a few small issues that I am working through.
My current issue is the cruise control.
It tends to randomly drop out and/or not engage. The problem seemed to become worse after I gave the bike its first good cleaning and is definitely worse when riding 2 up.
So far I've run through the CC diagnostics from the FSM and everything checks out with the possible exception of the VSS which gave me a fail on one run through. The speedo works as it should. I've also pulled all the covers off and verified that all connections I can get to are firmly connected and there are no pinched wires.
I have tried to run the "dropout" codes (bike and cruise off, handlebar control held to set, turn on ignition) but I'm not getting any response from the cruise set light. It's supposed to flash dropout codes but is not doing anything.
So, any ideas on what else to do or try?

Thanks in advance
This could be as simple as throttle cables mis-adjusted or a brake switch. Very simple way to start is to make sure your throttle cables are adjusted properly with a little amount of slack. The throttle roll off switch is located on the right side of the frame near the front of the tank. It is where the two outer cable covers slide together - make sure it's in order. You will see two wires going to it.

Switches can be disconnected for testing.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:25 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Ill give the switch disconnect a try .
The diagnostic for the roll off works properly but I don't know if the throttle cables are properly adjusted so I'll check that.
But, how would the roll off switch cause CC drop out when I'm 2 up but not (or not so much) as solo? It hardly ever drops out when riding solo, not never bu hardly evrr.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

It's a rubber mounted engine that moves and the throttle cables are attached to it. If the cable is mis-adjusted, binding, pinched, it can kick out the cruise.

I forgot to mention to check of the outer cable is pinched/bound and look at brake switch wiring for any rub through's especially rear wiring.

Suspension and engine movement dynamics change with vehicle loading.

Just suggesting you check these basics first. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-30-2015 at 01:59 PM.