Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

HD LED auxillary illuminated rear view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Sifuentese
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD LED auxillary illuminated rear view mirrors

Owkay guys, so I just purchased the HD LED rearview mirrors and I'm just curious as to the installation. In the directions it says to remove the fuel tank. Is this installation possible to do without tank removal? Also I have 9in risers with drag bars. Will I have to feed the wires down through the handlebars or take the handlebars off for installation? Help would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on your bike but I did not need to remove the tank on my 2011 Street Bob. I did have to lift the front of the tank an inch or two though. You'll need access to where the wire harness enters the frame on the right and left plus to the wire cover/retainer underneath the tank/frame.

There are two wires on the mirror. The ground wire just connects to the mirror stem. The other wire is power for the lights. You have to options:

1. Leave the wire external and zip tie it to the handlebars similar to the way Sportsters are wired.
2. Run it through the switch housing and then through the handlebars.

I installed mine through my ape hangers but it was a pain fishing a wire through with the existing wire harness already in place. You'll need something that is stiff enough to push the wire through but that bends enough to get passed the contours of the handlebar. I used an old speedometer cable I had laying around. Drag bars will likely be a little easier though. If you go this route it is also a good Idea to add some additional wire in case you want to add an electrical accessory or an auxiliary switch in the future.

Also, you can use an existing hole or drill a new one into your switch housing. Just make sure the wire does not interfere with your turn-signal switch. One more thing, don't forget to shim your brake and clutch levers before you disassemble the housings.

Good luck!