Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical...Voltage Regulator...Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Electrical...Voltage Regulator...Gremlins?

Need some help here. Not a technician by any stretch, but can usually get by with the normal stuff. I had posted something last week in the Touring section regarding this but thought I'd try here in the electrical section.

Bike is a 2012 FLHTCU with 12,000 miles on it. New to me last spring with 2600 miles on it. Has been running flawless...zero issues till late last week. Had both the "check engine" & "battery" lights light up, as well as voltmeter reading low (10 - 12). Did some digging & reading and all indications seems to be pointing to a bad voltage regulator (apparently 2012 was a bad year for these). Checked the date code on it (2312) which apparently is outside/beyond of the bad run of voltage regulators (only goes to 0912) according to this service bulletin..
https://app.box.com/s/d3794df7ba0c20cd178e

Was going to go for a ride when this happened so I went back home. After getting back home...did a quick check and all seemed fine. Started the bike back up and no warning lights on and voltmeter at 14. Went for a quick ride up & down the highway (20 miles) and still no lights...all seems normal. Next day had to go into town so I took the bike...no lights but once, right after start-up, I noticed the voltmeter spike up to 16 of a second or two, then back to 14 and stay there.

Did the self diagnostic on the weekend and came up with these codes:
P0562 - Battery Voltage Low
P0563 - Battery Voltage High
U1040 - can't find this code on the list. Think it may have something to do with my gauge swap about 1000 miles ago. Replaced my black gauges with silver ones form a 2012 Street Glide...Street Glide had ABS, mine doesn't so the ABS is always on.

Had to go out this morning so I took the bike. Cleared the codes as I'm not sure if they were current or not. No lights on and voltmeter at 14...other than once at start-up it did the spike to 16 for a second or two and then back to normal.

Checked error codes again when I got home and now I have different ones:
b1006 - Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
b1007 - Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
U1040 - still have this one

Any ideas?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Need some help here. Not a technician by any stretch, but can usually get by with the normal stuff. I had posted something last week in the Touring section regarding this but thought I'd try here in the electrical section.

Bike is a 2012 FLHTCU with 12,000 miles on it. New to me last spring with 2600 miles on it. Has been running flawless...zero issues till late last week. Had both the "check engine" & "battery" lights light up, as well as voltmeter reading low (10 - 12). Did some digging & reading and all indications seems to be pointing to a bad voltage regulator (apparently 2012 was a bad year for these). Checked the date code on it (2312) which apparently is outside/beyond of the bad run of voltage regulators (only goes to 0912) according to this service bulletin..
https://app.box.com/s/d3794df7ba0c20cd178e

Was going to go for a ride when this happened so I went back home. After getting back home...did a quick check and all seemed fine. Started the bike back up and no warning lights on and voltmeter at 14. Went for a quick ride up & down the highway (20 miles) and still no lights...all seems normal. Next day had to go into town so I took the bike...no lights but once, right after start-up, I noticed the voltmeter spike up to 16 of a second or two, then back to 14 and stay there.

Did the self diagnostic on the weekend and came up with these codes:
P0562 - Battery Voltage Low
P0563 - Battery Voltage High
U1040 - can't find this code on the list. Think it may have something to do with my gauge swap about 1000 miles ago. Replaced my black gauges with silver ones form a 2012 Street Glide...Street Glide had ABS, mine doesn't so the ABS is always on.

Had to go out this morning so I took the bike. Cleared the codes as I'm not sure if they were current or not. No lights on and voltmeter at 14...other than once at start-up it did the spike to 16 for a second or two and then back to normal.

Checked error codes again when I got home and now I have different ones:
b1006 - Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
b1007 - Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
U1040 - still have this one

Any ideas?
All indications point to a bad voltage regulator. The intermittent high/low voltage was the same problem most of the bad 2012's had. The recall has since expired.

If it were my bike, I would swap the voltage regulator or risk getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere. Some of the instruments, lights and other components won't tolerate the high voltage for very long without damage.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM
rjhill
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This forum is bad *** my bike is doing the same thing ..... looks like my 12 FLHX is doing the same thing. all you have to do is ask ... or seek HD Forums Tks