Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

LED Auxiliary Lamp Issue, both won't work at once

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Wray67
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Auxiliary Lamp Issue, both won't work at once

Need some help with getting both 4”LED Black Auxiliary Lamps Harley Part Number 68000008A Multi Fit to work.

I am installing Auxiliary Lamps on my 2009 Crossbones and was testing the LED lamps before wiring them on the bike.

When I hook each individual light to a 12V battery each light works.

When I hook both LED light to a 12V battery in parallel one comes on then goes off, then the other one comes on.
I haven’t been able to get both lights to stay on at the same time.

I figured that an LED acts like a diode (only passes current in one direction) so I’d try something else.
I hooded up the lamps in series. Similar result, I could only get one light on.

Is there some unique trick to get both LED Auxiliary Lamps on at the same time?
Or is this and indication of some sort of defect?

I bought the lights a couple of years ago, but just got around to installing them.

Thanks,
Wray

Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Wray67
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am posting what if found out about these LEDs, so it might help someone else solve a problem.

Today I fabricated some good jumper leads and did some bench testing of the LED lights on the work bench.
I was able to get both LED lights to work.
BTW
The LEDs work equally well when they are wired in either series or parallel as long as you hook them up with the correct polarity. In one sense a LED is a diode which allows current flow in only one direction: therefore it is essential to connect with the correct polarity.
They are not like the old incandescent lights that will work no matter what polarity is used.

What I found was that one of my LED units was lazy, for the lack of a better term.
I tested them for hours and found that the voltage threshold (when using both LEDs at once) was about 11.5 volts for the lazy one.

I am surprised that there is a significant difference in threshold voltage of these LED lamps super expensive LEDs.
Just the two LED auxiliary lamp bulb units cost $399.

I have used a variety of LED lights in several of my cars and/or trucks and found them to be extremely reliable at a fraction of the cost of these premium priced Harley-Davidson light.

Bottom line when installed in the bike they should never see less than 12 volts and should always work.
Therefore I am paying special attention to my wiring connections and grounds for these Auxiliary LEDs.
I am not wiring them so they are only on when the headlight is dimmed.
I am wiring them so I can turn them on or off anytime I want.

Wray