Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Tail light not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:46 PM
02heritage1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light not working

So recently my ignition switch and that connector grounded out and got all burned up. Kept blowing the accessories fuse. Replaced the ignition switch and connector then my bike blew the lights fuse. Put a new fuse in and headlights work but tail light does not. No other fuses are blown. Looking for ideas before I got spending money on a new tail light. Tail light is a led with turn signals integrated. I removed stock turn signals about a month ago.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Schoolam
Intermediate
Default Test Light

• I suggest you get yourself a test light. You can get one cheap at a Harbor Freight or similar store. Start at the harness under your seat, the one that feeds the rear fender. The red wire is your brake and the blue wire is your running light. Find where you have power first and then keep going back towards the taillight until you find where there is no more power. Chances are though is that it is a ground issue. LED's hardly ever fail entirely. Make sure that the ground from the integrated taillight is still hooked up.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 PM
02heritage1
Stage II

So I got a test light and started poking around on the brake light wire. Not getting any power to the tail light at all. Poked around on the connector and still no power. I got a little bit of power the further up the wire I went. (Test light came on but was really dim) Seems like the wire from the main harness is the problem. I just don't know if it's possible to replace just that one wire or if I have to replace the whole harness

Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can replace that wire, or simply run a new one alongside the harness, having disconnected the damaged one. Before you do that, check the tail-light by running a temporary wire to it. If that wire is indeed faulty it is worth trying to identify why, as there is just a risk that there may be other problems lurking.