Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Why Is Regulator Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:07 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts
Default Why Is Regulator Bad?

My volt meter shows a little over 14VDC when the bike is running at speed. When I shut the motor off with the kill switch the voltmeter goes down to a little over 11VDC. I ran a check on the regulator according to the instructions in the sticky at the top of this page. I got about 10VDC off all three of the stator connector pins of the regulator. If the regulator is bad, why am I getting over 14VDC when the motor is running at speed?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:21 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

I installed a new regulator today. Voltmeter measures just over 12VDC. I think that will go up a little after I run the bike for a little bit. Still don't know why the reg is bad if the charging voltage is up over 14VDC.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
... I got about 10VDC off all three of the stator connector pins
Shouldn't that be AC voltage ??

And that sounds low.
Did you check for grounded stator?
Did you follow the above stickies?

Last edited by IKnowNot; 09-14-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Shouldn't that be AC voltage ??

And that sounds low.
Did you check for grounded stator?
Did you follow the above stickies?
That is the voltage from the battery. The stator is disconnected from the reg for this test.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Dang, the voltmeter is showing about 11 volts again with the motor not running. The battery was tested and showed 12.4VDC and some 600 cranking amps.
I will have to wait to get home to check the regulator again.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

This could be normal ? Unless you are using a fairly new Fluke, voltmeters are notoriously inaccurate. The voltage from the stator is AC, it's peak value will be high than that you measure.

What voltmeter(s) are you using ?

And is there an issue with the bike ?

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dave Cawley
This could be normal ? Unless you are using a fairly new Fluke, voltmeters are notoriously inaccurate. The voltage from the stator is AC, it's peak value will be high than that you measure.

What voltmeter(s) are you using ?

And is there an issue with the bike ?
I'm reading from the volt meter in the dash and I'm getting the low voltage code again, 0562. Think that might only be my volt meter?
Again, I'm measuring voltage from the battery that should not be present at the stator plug on the regulator. I'm not trying to find voltage from the stator.
Are you just guessing or are you experienced with issues like this?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Ken

Well, you hadn't specified how you were measuring, now we know, thank you.

I am experienced in electronics and have frequently lectured NASA scientists, but I'll bow out now.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dave Cawley
Hi Ken

Well, you hadn't specified how you were measuring, now we know, thank you.

I am experienced in electronics and have frequently lectured NASA scientists, but I'll bow out now.
I certainly did explain how I was measuring in my first post here.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:34 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Alright Gunny, I think I understand the question now.

Voltage is measured off the stator plug, while running, to see if the stator is putting out sufficient AC voltage to the regulator. You were measuring, with the motor off, the voltage on the stator side of the regulator. DC voltage is not normally measured where you did because ANY DC voltage means it is bad ( DC voltage bleed back through the regulator ).Only a check for the presence of DC voltage is necessary.
You are asking WHY any voltage there is bad.

Now I forgot most everything the Corps taught me about avionics ( been over 40 years ) but …

If the rectifier in the regulator is working correctly no voltage can travel back through it. If voltage is traveling back through it then there is a short in it, or one of the diodes that make up the bridge is bad ( I am assuming it is using a bridge type rectifier, but would still pertain ). ( If you don't know, a diode will only let current travel in one direction )

Remember, what you have is actually a rectifier and regulator combined into one unit.
When the stator and rectifier are working properly the combination may be able to produce 25+ volts DC when the rpms are high. The regulator portion of the unit should hold the final output to under 14.8 volts DC.
If just one diode is bad in the bridge and the other half of the bridge ( or two thirds, depending on the type bridge ) are still working, at higher rpms the rectifier may still be capable of producing 18+ volts DC, but the regulator portion would still hold the output to under 14.8 volts DC. So although at higher rpms you could see your 14 volts, at lower rpms that missing half ( or third ) of the bridge would cause the computer to through a low voltage code.

Another BAD part about a bad diode is it could allow AC voltage into the output of the regulator which is very bad for sensors, computers and such.

Did this answer your question?

Last edited by IKnowNot; 09-17-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Why Is Regulator Bad?