Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Garage door opener issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 PM
MCMXI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage door opener issues...

i had a 2012 FLHX and from day one had an opener installed with zero issues. A month ago I traded it for a 2015 FLHXS. I wasn't about to give up the benefits of the opener and didn't want to spend the money on something I already had, so I took it off the bike when I traded it.

Fast forward a month. While at Harley today getting a couple recalls taken care of, I buy the necessary harness to install the transmitter into the 2015. I get home and wire it up, but it doesn't work. I've gone over my wiring 10 times and triple checked the voltage. All is good. But the transmitter won't work. The LED doesn't come on at all when powered up or holding the button on the receiver. It worked perfect about 15 minutes before I removed it from the old bike.

Is there a way to test the transmitter? Is it possible the ground isn't sufficient? The black wire from the transmitter is wired to the black wire in the harness, which is plugged into the connector under the left side cover. I'm assuming this should have a good ground. Is it possible the transmitter magically crapped out just sitting in my garage for a month?!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:50 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this what you're referring to ? http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oor-opener-kit Did you read the installation instructions ? http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J02028.PDF

Last edited by madsonp; 11-05-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 AM
MCMXI
Advanced

Originally Posted by madsonp
Is this what you're referring to ? http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...oor-opener-kit Did you read the installation instructions ? http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J02028.PDF
Yup, read and re-read. Then I read them again to be sure I read them. All of my wiring is done right, but there's nothing at the transmitter, and it was working perfectly when I took it off of my old bike.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 AM
madsonp
Road Captain

Did you try to reprogram it to the receiver ?

Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM
MCMXI
Advanced

Yeah, I tried everything, including resetting the receiver. I can't get the LED in the transmitter to come on at all. I know without a doubt that I had good power to the orange wire going into the transmitter. But when I hit the set button on the receiver I get nothing.

The only thing I can think of is to make sure I have a good ground. But the bike only has 1400 miles on it. I assume the plug under the side cover that the harness plugs into has a good ground.

I might have to just run a jumper from the black wire of the transmitter straight to the battery neg. That would at least eliminate that as a potential problem.

Last edited by MCMXI; 11-05-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 PM
MCMXI
Advanced

One other thing to note is that the opener is a different part number than the ones you can buy now.

Mine is a 91558-01A The ones you get now are 91558-01B.

Is it possible the older version doesn't work with the '14+ bikes?! The parts guy said it would, but that doesn't mean he's right.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
madsonp
Road Captain

Ok, just thought I'd ask because the LED on the transmitter isn't very bright and can be very hard to see if you're in a bright area. I never saw a direct plug in harness for these, I just wired mine up directly to a hot wire, ground, and the high beam wire that goes to the headlight, maybe you could try this. If yours does have a plug in harness, check the connectors to ensure that all the pins are fully pushed into the connector, also I think your idea of jumping the ground wire to a spot where you know you have a good ground is a good idea to try to at least answer that question. If all else fails if you have a spare 12v battery laying around try directly connecting to the battery with the positive and negative leads and the intermittently touch the lead that goes to the headlight on the positive terminal of the battery to replication switching your high beam on and off, if this doesn't work then I'd say you have a bad transmitter.

Last edited by madsonp; 11-05-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:25 PM
madsonp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MCMXI
One other thing to note is that the opener is a different part number than the ones you can buy now.

Mine is a 91558-01A The ones you get now are 91558-01B.

Is it possible the older version doesn't work with the '14+ bikes?! The parts guy said it would, but that doesn't mean he's right.
I can't see where there's any reason it wouldn't work with your bike. It's just a 12v powered transmitter that's switched from a 12v signal from your lead that feeds your headlight high beam, you should be able to hook this up to any vehicle with headlights (car, ATV, etc.) and there's no reason wouldn't work.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:26 PM
MCMXI
Advanced

I thought about the LED also. I had my daughter and son both stand by the fairing and watch for it to light up.

It turns out I have my boat batteries laying in the garage, so I'll try that.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's good. It worked perfectly a month ago, one day before I took it off my old bike.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 PM
MCMXI
Advanced

I can't see where there's any reason it wouldn't work with your bike. It's just a 12v powered transmitter that's switched from a 12v signal from your lead that feeds your headlight high beam, you should be able to hook this up to any vehicle with headlights (car, ATV, etc.) and there's no reason wouldn't work.
True. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener issues...