Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Red key light illuminated

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM
cuyahoga
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red key light illuminated

Hi everybody. My red key light keeps turning on and off - 2009 SG. I do not have a security system or key fob's. Bike runs perfect. HD dealer asked me if I installed any LED lighting which I did. There was no red key light until I converted. All lights are LED except tail/brake. Anyone run into something like this? Thanks...

Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

You probably need a load equalizer. The led's draw so little current the bike thinks there's a problem. The one I use I got from Biketronics, it's easy plug and play. They also warranty it for life. Mine acted up after four years and they replaced it, no problem.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Not sure were the transition is but I guess your front signals are now LED. There is a simple fix which I have see on here for telling the system the resistance is correct. On my 04, LED in the back would not even work with out the resistors. Think yours will work with two or even four but it needs programmed.. I think your 2009 has the newer SST system. However, my last electrical diagnostic manual is a 2008 Dyna. Only have the 2009 Dyna Service manual but it has the STT. I think the fix is in the diagnostic manual.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-17-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:31 PM
cuyahoga
Novice

Originally Posted by nevil
You probably need a load equalizer. The led's draw so little current the bike thinks there's a problem. The one I use I got from Biketronics, it's easy plug and play. They also warranty it for life. Mine acted up after four years and they replaced it, no problem.
Thank you for your assistance.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM
cuyahoga
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Not sure were the transition is but I guess your front signals are now LED. There is a simple fix which I have see on here for telling the system the resistance is correct. On my 04, LED in the back would not even work with out the resistors. Think yours will work with two or even four but it needs programmed.. I think your 2009 has the newer SST system. However, my last electrical diagnostic manual is a 2008 Dyna. Only have the 2009 Dyna Service manual but it has the STT. I think the fix is in the diagnostic manual.
My HD dealer said to leave the four ways on for five minutes and the bike would figure this out by itself. Since it's five degrees outside maybe I'll try that tonight. If that works I'll write back. Thanks...

Old 01-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cuyahoga
My HD dealer said to leave the four ways on for five minutes and the bike would figure this out by itself. Since it's five degrees outside maybe I'll try that tonight. If that works I'll write back. Thanks...
That works on 2014 and newer baggers but not 2013 or earlier. On those you need a load equalizer.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cuyahoga

Sure Hogpro know what he talking about. Odd the dealer would tell you that but things are always changing and they are apt to tell you wrong. Is your signal lights working front and back when the red light appears? I think unlike mine, the STT system read resistance and actually uses the tail light for a signal or the signal as a dimmed brake (or something like that)

Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Also, to narrow it down, you can check for stored DTC. This way you'll know if it's the lighting upgrade, or something else.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Not to get too far afield but:

When a load equalizer is used on a system is the overall electrical draw the same for LED as the incandescent bulbs?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Not to get too far afield but:

When a load equalizer is used on a system is the overall electrical draw the same for LED as the incandescent bulbs?
Yes, that is what the older system uses to check for problems. It is a big resistor that gets hot.

Quick Reply: Red key light illuminated