Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Harley garage opener to smart door

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Joe Wolf
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley garage opener to smart door

I had the new Sears smart door with battery backup installed and my HARLEY opener no longer worked.
I hacked into the smart panel that has the button to open/close the door it also has the clock and temp display.
You need a volt meter, solder gun and the regular HARLEY receiver with the black and red wire coming out of it. Now open the back of the Sears wall unit and put the test meter on ohms and touch the back (2 of the 4) pins of the momentary switch. That's the button you push to open/close the door. When you test the ohms it will always say OL (open line) If you have it on the right 2 pins, and push the button to open/close the door, the line will show some resistance, Not OL only for a second. Those are the 2 pins you want to solder the HD black and red wire to from the HD receiver.
Now mount the wall unit back on the wall and plug in your HD receiver and you should be back to using your High/low beam switch again.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Good job, I still have the old style openers so this isn't an issue for me, but I've heard where others have issues with the newer openers, and many of them solved their problem by buying an interface from these guys http://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/index.php It's good to know however there're other cheaper alternatives that you can do yourself, do you have any pictures you could post ?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Joe Wolf
Stage IV

Originally Posted by madsonp
Good job, I still have the old style openers so this isn't an issue for me, but I've heard where others have issues with the newer openers, and many of them solved their problem by buying an interface from these guys http://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/index.php It's good to know however there're other cheaper alternatives that you can do yourself, do you have any pictures you could post ?
This is my wall unit

This is a pic of the 2 momentary switches that are under the open/close button

This is the back that I soldered the red and black HD wires to to bypass the Circuit board right to the momentary switch itself

Old 01-18-2016, 05:04 PM
madsonp
Road Captain

Cool, I'll have to remember that if I ever get a new opener.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:58 PM
CrazyEye
Stage I

I just bought and installed an HD garage door opener. I also had upgraded my garage door opener to a Chamberlain with the MQ feature. The HD garage door opener did not work with the newer opener, so Thanks Joe Cool for posting this thread. I followed your instructions on wiring right into the wall switch, and it now works.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A buddy of mine has a Craftsman assurelink opener that I cannot get to work with the HD garage door opener on his bike. Will try this suggestion from Joe Wolf. Otherwise not sure what to do next.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 PM
madsonp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
A buddy of mine has a Craftsman assurelink opener that I cannot get to work with the HD garage door opener on his bike. Will try this suggestion from Joe Wolf. Otherwise not sure what to do next.
Get ahold of these guys and see if they can't help you out. http://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/index.php