Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Dielctric Grease

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Permatex dielectric tune up grease - Auto Zone, Advance - available almost anywhere.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:36 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

In a pinch tail light bulb grease is pretty easy to find in small tubes at Walmart for only a few bucks. Same stuff.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

FWIW:

20 bux on Amazon:

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-21-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I know this is an old thread but hey its here and Im waking up to my coffee. Another product I use is Sil-glide. Silicone waterproof grease.

Id like to comment on the spark plug toque, I remember Ford had (has) an issue blowing plugs is by the poor design of the thread depth in the heads. V-10's were notorious, then they came out with their own thread insert kit. But in reference to using lube on threads and over torquing, if dry torque is speced than any lube on threads requires a reduction in final torque. For example the charts I use to go with say when torquing steel into aluminum (spark plugs) the torque has to be reduced by 40%.
I have always used never seeze or motor oil. Book states that, which means the torque spec is factored for lubed threads.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about using simple Vaseline? I've done this with no ill effects. Admittedly, this is not ideal but the original question asked about what could be used if no dielectric grease was around.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinish
How about using simple Vaseline? I've done this with no ill effects. Admittedly, this is not ideal but the original question asked about what could be used if no dielectric grease was around.

G'day,

Vinish

Not on rubber !

Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Dielectric grease on spark plugs?? Wouldn't be my choice. I use an antisieze lube on mine.

It can handle high temps and prevents galling, corrosion and seizing.

This one or similar:

Amazon.com: Permatex 81343 Anti-Seize Lubricant, 1 oz. Tube: Automotive
On the boot/connection to the top. If this were a video it'd get a million youtube hits

If a car is going 80 miles per hour.........

Old 07-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Yes, I have two Ford 4.6 engines, one has 265K on it, I last changed the plugs at 150K, and they came right out...Time to change them again.

Ford 4.6 engines are notorious for having weak spark plug threads that are damaged from over torquing, there is a technical service bulletin that specifically states not to use anti seize.

Ford forums are full of threads about 4.6 engine spark plugs blowing out of the engine.

That`s why I posted that most engine manufacturers and spark plug manufacturers don`t call for anti seize.

The HD manual says to use anti seize, so there is no problem.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-...ut-spark-plugs

I wish I would have known about dielectric grease when I was youngster working on my old cars, those spark plug boots would be stuck to the plug like they were part of it...
The 4.6 was nothing compared to the 5.4 spark plugs breaking off

Old 07-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, no vaseline on rubber and not on sparkplug threads either. But putting it on the normal electrical connections would seem okay (not rubber). What about using it on the electrical connection of the spark plug (remember, this was an "emergency" where there is no dielectric grease around)? If you keep it just on the metal connection point on the sparkplug, it would seem that contact with the rubber sparkplug boot would be minimal. Might work in a pinch.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Dielectric grease on spark plugs?? Wouldn't be my choice. I use an antisieze lube on mine.

It can handle high temps and prevents galling, corrosion and seizing.

This one or similar:

Amazon.com: Permatex 81343 Anti-Seize Lubricant, 1 oz. Tube: Automotive
He is not talking about using dielectric on his sparkplug threads. He wants to take a Q-tip or something and smear dielectric grease on the inside of his spark plug boots. Just an educated guess here.

Quick Reply: Dielctric Grease