Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Brake light relay on an 06 Ultra Classic

Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Armed_Infidel_77
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light relay on an 06 Ultra Classic

On a ride the other day and guy tells me that my brake lights aren't working. I looked and they are on constantly now.

I took the right side brake lever off and checked the actuators in there and they are both working fine. I traced the wire bundle through the front fairing and there's no bare wires to be seen.

I then pulled the fuse box and found that my Brake Relay is blown. I replaced it with the version of the relay that is available now, and after applying the front brake 4 or 5 rimes, the new relay blew.

I did the "no no" thing and inserted a 15 amp fuse in both sockets (for back and front brake) and it blew the front brake fuse as well.

I'm lost as to what's wrong and I'm about to roll my baby out in to the driveway and put a For Sale sign on her.

PLEASE HELP ME!! Any and all information would be greatly appreciated and out to use. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Armed_Infidel_77
On a ride the other day and guy tells me that my brake lights aren't working. I looked and they are on constantly now.

I took the right side brake lever off and checked the actuators in there and they are both working fine. I traced the wire bundle through the front fairing and there's no bare wires to be seen.

I then pulled the fuse box and found that my Brake Relay is blown. I replaced it with the version of the relay that is available now, and after applying the front brake 4 or 5 rimes, the new relay blew.

I did the "no no" thing and inserted a 15 amp fuse in both sockets (for back and front brake) and it blew the front brake fuse as well.

I'm lost as to what's wrong and I'm about to roll my baby out in to the driveway and put a For Sale sign on her.

PLEASE HELP ME!! Any and all information would be greatly appreciated and out to use. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the schematics for the 06 but I do for 04 and 08 and there's not a lot of difference.
The Accessory fuse supplies 12 v on a o/w wire to both the front and rear brake switches, as well as the horn, cigar lighter and turn signals. Either brake switch will put 12V on the R/BE wire which powers the brake relay coil. The coil pulls in the NO contacts of the relay taking power from the cruise/Brake fuse, through the now closed contacts of the relay to the rear brake lights on a R/Y wire.

How do you know the relay is bad? Look at the fuse box cover and tell us which fuses are blowing.

Have you done anything to the bike like new bars, light upgrades ??? Do you have brake light on the tour pak?

If you look at the schematics you can see if you pull the brake relay and step on the brake pedal or pull the front brake lever and no fuse blows, then the problem is after the relay. Unplug the connector under the seat for the tail light and unplug the connector for the tour pack and put the relay back in, try the pedal or lever. If the brake fuse blows you have a problem between the relay and the connectors.