Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
It's still doing what I described in my above post from a couple of weeks ago, but to be more specific, it will start perfectly when it comes off the trickle charger. Go for a long ride, still fine. But if I go for a short ride like to get fuel about a km from my house I turn bike on everything lights up and fvp primes as normal, then hit button and get silence-no relay or solenoid click just pure silence. Turn ignition off and try again. Sometimes works the next time or it could be 10 times. But when it does start cranking it spins fast and strong and fires right up.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Try switching your starter relay and your system relay. And see what it does.

The following users liked this post:
Oz Nightrain (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok thanks. I'll give that a shot.
Cheers

Old 06-26-2016, 06:29 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

it's the relay

The following users liked this post:
Oz Nightrain (06-26-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

So I was working on the other side of town today, only 5mins from the hd dealer, so I thought I'd call in on the way home and managed to get their last starter relay. Got home, put it in and the bike actually made me jump it started that quick. I'm used to 2 or three cranks but it fired up after holding the button for about half a second. And it was off the tender all night (whoops) and I'd checked for codes so I imagine the battery would probably have dropped a similar amount to a start and a short ride. So based on first impressions I think the relay was the problem and I'm quite annoyed I didn't think to look at it sooner. I won't have a chance for a proper ride till the weekend, so I'll make an update then. Thanks again guys!!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:01 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

I'll put up a pic of the old relay. Is there a way to tell it was bad by looking at it? Some of those pins look discoloured to me (possibly burnt) ? As I'm sure you can tell by now I'm no electrical genius, so be gentle!!!

Attached Thumbnails Starting issue-image-1565106708.jpg  
Old 06-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll put up a pic of the old relay. Is there a way to tell it was bad by looking at it? Some of those pins look discoloured to me (possibly burnt) ? As I'm sure you can tell by now I'm no electrical genius, so be gentle!!!

That is pretty corroded, minimum I would clean that good and use some dielectric grease on it. better to replace it and still use dielectric grease.
You can get those at any automotive parts store. Get a new one and keep the old for a spare.
On any older bike electrical connection maintenance should be a regular part of yearly maintenance. HD is not know for their high price connectors and when they get wet they corrode, that is where the dielectric grease comes in, it keeps the connection air tight and keeps it from corroding.
So any bike ten years old needs to be gone through, start with all of your fuses, take them out, use a good connector cleaner then the grease.
Same for any connector, pull it apart and pack it with grease.
Everyone hates electronics so you are doing fine, this is how we learn, by doing.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Thanks Harleycruiser I appreciate your help. I bought the bike as a repairable write off, it spent a week under water in the the 2011 floods. I went with the new relay and gave it a liberal coating of dielectric grease. I'll probably do the same with the system relay and check all the fuses as you suggested. I've rebuilt the starter, replaced many sensors and a lot of wiring due to corrosion, I guess I just didn't think the water got quite that high and it could also be due to the age of the bike as well. You made some valid points and I guess I've still got lots to check, but I can't complain, the old bucket of bolts has never left me stranded (touch wood).
Thanks again, Matt

06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H 2-2, K&N AC, P&P heads, SEPST

Old 07-02-2016, 02:56 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Well I finally got a chance to go for a ride and the bike started flawlessly every time! So thanks very much guys, you've got no idea what a relief it is just to have confidence in my bike again, knowing it will start every time. And all because of that one little relay!! Cheers, Matt.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I finally got a chance to go for a ride and the bike started flawlessly every time! So thanks very much guys, you've got no idea what a relief it is just to have confidence in my bike again, knowing it will start every time. And all because of that one little relay!! Cheers, Matt.

Cool.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Do you have a TSM or a TSSM, the start circuit goes through both types of turn signal modules and will disable the start relay. When riding have you had any issues with the turn signals? Has your ODO indicated TIP? This may be a place to start otherwise check grounds as well.

Quick Reply: Starting issue