Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Starting issue

Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows of a trick to get to the nut that holds the power cable onto the starter motor, with out removing the oil tank, I can't seem to get in there? I just want to get in there to check and clean the connection! Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, Matt. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by Oz Nightrain; 05-20-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Anybody???

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-21-2016, 03:57 AM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Try removing the battery and you may be able to access it from above through the gap at the bottom of the oil tank.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Thanks mate, I just read through that first post again, and it was worded very poorly. I had the battery out, first nut off and main power lead removed. It was actually that 2nd nut underneath that I was referring to. I had trouble getting to it because of the way it's recessed in, but I finally got there with a bit of perseverance. Anyway I cleaned it all up and made sure everything was tight and it still didn't solve my problem. I may start a new thread or elaborate further when I've tried a couple more things. Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.
Cheers, Matt.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

So I just thought I'd give an update to what I think solved my problem incase someone has the same issue. The main problem I had was about 90% of the time the bike would start fine but randomly I would get nothing when I hit the start button. No click of a relay or solenoid, just silence! Could happen 2 or 3 times in a row, sometimes 10 times or anywhere in between, then it would start perfectly. I recently hooked up a usb charging point for my iPhone and was told by a mate that it 'should' be an open circuit until you plug something into it. I'm now thinking this was wrong, because since I pulled the inline fuse for the charger my problem miraculously went away. So the point of the story is, if you put one of these in wire it through your ignition or a switch. Hopefully this will help someone else as silly as me!!!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Ok forget that bit about the usb charger. The bloody thing did it again. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to check next? The only thing I can think of is the actual starter button, but I don't really know how to check it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

What does it do when you try to start it, and what does it not do?
Lights come on? Spins won't start?
What year bike

Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

Check ignition switch itself and connections to it. Corrosion makes weak connections= resistance=burnt wires at switch=intermittent start problems. Common issue.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
What does it do when you try to start it, and what does it not do? Lights come on? Spins won't start? What year bike
It's still doing what I described in my above post from a couple of weeks ago, but to be more specific, it will start perfectly when it comes off the trickle charger. Go for a long ride, still fine. But if I go for a short ride like to get fuel about a km from my house I turn bike on everything lights up and fp primes as normal, then hit button and get silence-no relay or solenoid click just pure silence. Turn ignition off and try again. Sometimes works the next time or it could be 10 times. But when it does start cranking it spins fast and strong and fires right up. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by Oz Nightrain; 06-27-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
Check ignition switch itself and connections to it. Corrosion makes weak connections= resistance=burnt wires at switch=intermittent start problems. Common issue.
I replaced the ignition switch a year or two ago (it was cutting out while riding). Don't think that's the issue, but definitely worth checking out.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Oh, it's an 06 Night Train btw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting issue