Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Dyna Electric System Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 03:28 PM
aurimask
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyna Electric System Troubleshooting

Hello,

I have an electrical problem, when turn ignition on, the headlight is working, but the speedometer does not illuminate. I am using dyna electrical diagnosis manual to troubleshoot. I proceeded up to ODOMETER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC INOPERATIVE part. There I have to measure resistance between DLC terminals.

The question is, when I unplug the component (speedometer, ECM, LHCM, etc.) and measure resistance should I plug it back before unplugging another one? The manual does not state that, but logically thinking I should plug speedometer back, before testing ECM. Correct?

Old 12-22-2016, 09:21 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Need more info.

What model and year, have you done any modifications or anything to the lights or wiring?

Have you checked the instrument fuse?

Does the fuel gauge or any other instrument lights work?

Old 12-23-2016, 05:01 AM
aurimask
Novice

As usual, I will answer my own question.

So basically there is no difference whether during test you plug the component back or not, because its resistance is several hudred times bigger (10-50 kOhm) than other components with terminating resistance (120 Ohm) and until that component is good, the difference in total resistance of full chain will not much differ.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 AM
aurimask
Novice

Managed to fix this problem, have a speedometer light on, can check DTCs etc. Have a simple question.

Currently starter cranks the engine, but there is no spark. In terms of DTCs I have one which says turn light circuit open and fuel gauge not connected. Could this be the case, why there is no spark?

Should the motorcycle start if the speedometer illuminates, o there is some electric logic which does not allow to start the engine.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 PM
u2nmg93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to need at least a year on the bike to be more helpful. Model would be helpful too...
Did it run before you started messing with the speedo light? Just because the speedo light illuminates doesn't mean the rest of the ignition system is getting power. There are usually different ignition hot circuits so if you blow the fuse on your lights you can still make it home. And as skinman13 asked have you made any modifications to any of the electric or ignition systems?