Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

03 883C came without indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:50 PM
GreginMo
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 883C came without indicator lights

I took the riser cap off to look at why the indicator cluster was dead and discovered it was missing. I found this whole instrument set on ebay but not needing a speedo I didn't want to spend the money. (PIC 1)

I reasoned the warning light set was common to more than just this model and found a salvage guy who agreed so I ordered this one. (PICs 2, 3)

It looks like 10 wires. The manual shows the plug as having 12.
The only open plug I can find is under the gas tank and has 6. (PIC 4)

If you look at the first pic which is supposedly the right part, the light cluster wires enter the speedo wire close enough that it would have to be located within the hollow riser. A look down my riser shows a continuous wire with no breaks or plug coming from the speedo that combines into the ones for the left and right handlebar. (PIC 5)

Cutting and soldering wires to make this work is no big deal, I just hoped it would be a little easier to see what I need to connect to. I expected I would find something cut and stubbed out (especially since there are also no turn signals) and just pin them out with a voltmeter and re-connect stuff. I have this thing stripped to the point that I can see it all and it looks like an unmolested factory harness. I can't see any wires that look like turn signals or indicator lights have been cut.
I have 2 questions. First, can anyone identify the use for the plug under my gas tank with 1 row of 6 flat pins is for? Second, Anyone with an 03 883C that knows what the turn/indicator harness looks like? the one in the first pic that should be from a bike just like mine has an orange 12 pin plug in a place 6" under the cluster that my bike had nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails 03 883C came without indicator lights-ebay1.png   03 883C came without indicator lights-ebay2.png   03 883C came without indicator lights-10wires.png   03 883C came without indicator lights-6prong.jpg   03 883C came without indicator lights-contwire.jpg  

Old 01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I would look up a wiring diagram, then look over the rear and handlebar area to see if the wiring for the signals is still there and not gutted. The turn signals and taillight is on the same harness that plugs in under the seat, I would see how much of the wire is left. You may have to make your own harness if it's all gone.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
GreginMo
5th Gear
Default Turn signal wires

The wire looms from both sides of my handlebars go right in to the main trunk, just where the speedo loom does. The 3 of them turn into one and go under the frame and become the main trunk line. No interruptions, splices or plugs. Yet the manual clearly shows them to be separate looms that plug in to the main in the riser. Here's a shot from the manual and another from the web that clearly shows a bunch of plugs I don't have. Things that deviate from the manual I expected. The thing that has me looking for more answers is the fact that my harness looks to be factory and untouched, but nothing like shown in the manual.

Attached Thumbnails 03 883C came without indicator lights-screen-shot-2017-01-13-at-4.09.11-pm.png   03 883C came without indicator lights-screen-shot-2017-01-13-at-4.13.55-pm.png  
Old 01-13-2017, 04:20 PM
GreginMo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I would look up a wiring diagram, then look over the rear and handlebar area to see if the wiring for the signals is still there and not gutted. The turn signals and taillight is on the same harness that plugs in under the seat, I would see how much of the wire is left. You may have to make your own harness if it's all gone.
The turn signal control box is there with the plug in place. There are no wires for front signals and I don't have the chrome off the rear fender yet but as near as I can tell, no wires there either.