Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

extending wires: connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Vandinroth
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default extending wires: connectors

There any downside to just removing the factory connectors entirely and replacing them with something a bit easier to work with? These connectors are a massive PITA. I can get the wires out ok for the most part but getting the new wires back in is horrid. By the third wire i was ready to blow the bike up and I have like 14 more to go.

I'm tempted to just get the wires out of both sides of the connector and rewire on a simpler connector. Any legit reason *not* to do this?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandinroth
There any downside to just removing the factory connectors entirely and replacing them with something a bit easier to work with? These connectors are a massive PITA. I can get the wires out ok for the most part but getting the new wires back in is horrid. By the third wire i was ready to blow the bike up and I have like 14 more to go.

I'm tempted to just get the wires out of both sides of the connector and rewire on a simpler connector. Any legit reason *not* to do this?
None that I know of. Go with any good connector, just make sure to keep the wiring straight.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:17 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

would depend on the year of bike, if it is a canbus system you could cause massive problems as some of the wires have a dual purpose and have a date stream passing though them beside the current . If your bike is pre canbus it shold not be a problem

Old 02-04-2017, 05:01 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandinroth
....I'm tempted to just get the wires out of both sides of the connector and rewire on a simpler connector. Any legit reason *not* to do this?

As long as what you come up with doesn't compromise the protectiveness of the original connector against the elements.

Just make sure the connectors you source have the highest IP rating you can get to prevent moisture ingress. I sourced and used some IP 68 ones recently for the Drag Specialities LED tail light I fitted instead of cutting and splicing the wiring. If you make a good termination and do not alter the resistance value of the circuit, canbus or not, it will not make any difference. The ones depicted below were the solder variety.

Last edited by K9F; 02-04-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:44 AM
Motomom
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mrs B

I get how to do the halo. It can be white or orange on mine. The orange light is for the blinker but I don't get which blinker wires to hook it to. I'd like it to blink for safety reasons when wither turn signal is used. So the red extra wire gets to wait. Or was it the green. But I have the daylight running light as amber(orange) and the two wires that hang out are the two colors..there's a video of extending the wire you want and wrapping it around the low beam prong before plugging the three prong into the corresponding socket that matches. The center prong is the low beam. Just remember not to touch the wire to more than one prong when power is on. Jeeet..or zap!