Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wanted: 2-wire electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanted: 2-wire electrical connector

In so many wiring projects, we need to connect 2 wires. Today we do this with 2 connectors to connect 2 wires. If we want a disconnect, we use 4 terminal ends (2 male and 2 female) like this....

It works, but is not aesthetically pleasing.

I'm looking for a cheap, small 2-wire male/female polarized connector where the plug is a single molded thing designed for 2 conductors that can be crimped on to the wires.

I can find this connector ...

It's almost what I'm looking for, but it has pigtails. I want a 2-wire connector like this that does not have pigtails. I'd like one that simply crimps onto the wires.

I can find plug at Radio Shack where you crimp the metal ends on the wire and slide them inside a plastic housing. But they are about $6 a plug ($2.99 for each end). That's more than I want to spend.

I thought this would be fairly easy to find. But no.
Nobody makes one. I have contacted 3 companies that make automotive wiring connectors (like the ones in the little packages at O'Riely's, AutoZone, Ace Hardware).

Somebody makes a simple, cheap, 2-wire male/female plug.

Where can I get these?

Old 02-24-2017, 06:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,904 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by RANGER73; 02-24-2017 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Runamuk13 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

EC3 and EC5 connectors are good for heavier wires, and used on a lot of these small lithium jumper batteries. There's a variety of connectors used in radio control models for lighter wiring. These are all available much cheaper from Amazon than Radio Shack. I've used the EC plugs, and when you press in the pins, put the mating pin in them so you can press them in without smashing the plastic barrel.

Amazon Amazon

Name:  connectors-8.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  connectors-7.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  63.1 KB

Runamuk13 (02-25-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:24 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I like the Delphi Weather Pack 2 Pin Sealed Connector Kit 16-14 GA. You can get them on eBay etc.

paoloD (03-15-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:30 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Nylon Amp or Molex connectors...cheap and reliable. Used them in airplane avionics installations for years.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 PM
mikeyglide
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An electronics supply store ,a commercial/industrial one . Not radio shack

Here in our town we have hutch and sons.

www.hutch-and-son.com

They ship

Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Kdjmobiledj
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are Waterproof connectors And its best to solder things crimping doesn't last forever connections can rattle loose, I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Kdjmobiledj; 03-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdjmobiledj
Here are Waterproof connectors And its best to solder things crimping doesn't last forever connections can rattle loose, I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/Idealgo-Acces...onnector&psc=1
Search "amp connectors" on Amazon and get a bunch of brands including this that look like AMP knockoffs. Few with wire pigtails give wire gauges, and user comments say those are incorrect, seems they're all 20 or 22 awg, but there are plenty you can crimp or solder your wires to the pins/sockets, something I'd want to do anyway to avoid extra splices. My tour glide refurb will include making a new harness (I'll be ashamed of myself if I can't do better than Harley did), and I think 18awg will be the smallest gauge wire I'll use.

I've crimped 10's of thousands of pins and sockets for aircraft wiring, done right they never come loose, but those were barrel crimps, not the relatively flimsy fold over tab style like these on Amazon. I've used those on non aircraft applications, and I do solder them.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Kdjmobiledj
6th Gear
Default I hear you on that Imold

I didn't really mean use those ones I just was showing those as an example. And call me strange but I like to solder everything I've never even tried only crimping I'd rather take the extra time so I know down the road what I did isn't causing the short that I can't find, you know what I mean? Anyway I did find these though you may like.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Kdjmobiledj
6th Gear
Default I hear you on that Imold

I didn't really mean use those ones I just was showing those as an example. And call me strange but I like to solder everything I've never even tried only crimping I'd rather take the extra time so I know down the road what I did isn't causing the short that I can't find, you know what I mean? Anyway I did find these though you may like. No pigtails lol

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Wanted: 2-wire electrical connector