Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Accessory fuse after LED light upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 PM
inhershey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accessory fuse after LED light upgrade

Hi all, first time here but hoping someone can give me some insight.

2009 Roadking
Upgraded the headlight and aux lights to LED. They are great but ever since, I keep blowing the accessory fuse. The headlights keep working but I lose brake and turn signal lights.

Seems too coincidental to not be related but at the same time, I don't know how changing the plug and play headlights can cause another circuit to blow the fuse.

Thoughts?

I don't see any areas that wires are worn. I guess I could put the old stuff back on and see if the problem goes away but hoping for some direction before spend time going the wrong direction.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:21 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by inhershey
Hi all, first time here but hoping someone can give me some insight.

2009 Roadking
Upgraded the headlight and aux lights to LED. They are great but ever since, I keep blowing the accessory fuse. The headlights keep working but I lose brake and turn signal lights.

Seems too coincidental to not be related but at the same time, I don't know how changing the plug and play headlights can cause another circuit to blow the fuse.

Thoughts?

I don't see any areas that wires are worn. I guess I could put the old stuff back on and see if the problem goes away but hoping for some direction before spend time going the wrong direction.
You are correct. Those are separate circuits and changing the headlight and aux lights should have no effect on the accessory circuit. I'd start looking for a fault in the aux circuit.

Any codes thrown?

I'd start by making sure you didn't disturb a ground when you changed the lighting circuit. If all is well start going through the accessory circuit.

The following users liked this post:
inhershey (03-17-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:36 AM
inhershey
Novice

Thanks for the reply. I have no fault codes.

Weird thing is that the new lights were plug and play. I didn't need to cut any wires or make modifications. I replaced the fuse last night and tested everything with the engine off but as soon as I started it up, I lost the fuse again.

The other weird thing is that the problem occurred instantly, 1st ride after replacing the lights. I could put the old lights back on in an hour just to confirm but I agree that it's hard to understand how they would affect another circuit.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Hard to imagine it is anything but a coincidence since they are unrelated circuits.

First thing to check is the wiring underneath the rear fender going back to the tail lights and turn signals. Unplug that section of the harness and see if the problem persists, but don`t ride the bike with the rear lights disconnected because you will have no brake lights.

inhershey (03-17-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:04 PM
inhershey
Novice

I followed your advice and disconnected the rear section of the wiring harness. I hopped on and operated the turn signals and brake while turning the handlebars and it still blew a fuse so I guess it's not on the rear end.

Inspected and wiggled some wires on the front end but now can't duplicate the short.

I'll have to take it for a ride after the rain and see if it blows again

Last edited by inhershey; 02-25-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Do you have the Aux lights setup so that they can run while on high beam, if so check to see if your Aux lights hot wires have any bare spots, since you changed the bulbs you may have moved the wires so that the bare spots make contact with ground. That Accessory circuit powers the marker lights and tail light as well as the fender tip light which is the most common place to power the aux lights if you want them to run during high beam.

inhershey (03-17-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 AM
inhershey
Novice

The aux light's are still wired from factory to run with low beam only and I have had a fuse blow with those turned off. I've also had the fuse blow when I had the plug pulled apart feeding the tail.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to pull the headlamp out and look in there. The new lamp pluggedin but maybe I can see somoething inside the housing.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 PM
inhershey
Novice

It's been a while since I worked on this issue... the 20" of snow and cold weather put a damper on my work

After blowing several fuses while I searched, the problem went away but since I knew that I didn't actually fix anything, I kept looking. I took the headlight back out and found 2 possible issues. There was an unused wire with a 1/4" female push on connector in there that may have been shorting to ground and another wire that looked like it had been pinched once upon a time. I insulated both and although I can't prove it, I'm pretty confident that the issue has been resolved.

Thanks to all that read my post and especially to those that commented.

Last edited by inhershey; 03-17-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

The only question I have at this point is, what all do you have being powered by the accessories circuit?. It may not be lighting related at all if your setup to stock, however check wiring to fender tip lights as well.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 PM
inhershey
Novice

I checked the front fender light wire pretty close and didn't find any evidence of wear. Since the issue surfaced immediately after the headlamp upgrade, I went back to that area. I had previously eliminated the rear lighting since I lost fuses even with that unplugged.

Quick Reply: Accessory fuse after LED light upgrade