Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2014 BCM bank angle sensor on trike

Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 AM
thol228
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 BCM bank angle sensor on trike

Help..I have a 2014 FLSTC that has a trike conversion. With the new lateral forces applied to the BAS the bike will shut down when pushing it through a curve. This is creating a dangerous riding condition. I understand the BAS is inside the BCM and therefore does not allow me to disable it ..The dealer is not wanting to talk about flashing the BCM to remove the BAS function, even if possible, for safety reasons. What in the world can I do with this...Thanks

The following users liked this post:
coolgramz (07-17-2021)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:09 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,243 Likes on 11,134 Posts

I don't know much about the Bsnk angle sensor. But, it doesn't seem right that it would be designed to shut off a bike. That's just dangerous for any bike. You might want to look into if this is opersting properly.

I may be wrong, and if so..,ignore this post.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 AM
thol228
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply..The BAS is designed to shut down the bike in the event of a "tip over", or dropping the bike. It probably acts as a swinging pendulum that switches off the ignition when it leans past a critical angle. Not a bad idea but on a "trike", that never leans, it is a whole other problem. I assume the lateral G force, in a curve, is pulling the pendulum and playing havoc. It would be safer to remove it, in my opinion, on a trike.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Try this link: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson..../view?id=89898

It's for adding sidecar on a 2014 Police model but it does mention a Bank Angle Sensor. I'm not sure but a sidecar & a trike might use similar setups as far as a BAS. It might give you some info.

If the link doesn't work try this:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Without entering a VIN, use the "Search" function (top right of page) & search for "J06466"

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 03-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
thol228
6th Gear
Default 2014 Harley Trike tip over

Thanks 14GuineaPig...I've read where re-flashing the BCM, telling it now has a sidecar, would help the BAS perform differently which may help. To date the Dealerships are not interested in any change to the BAS. They claim safety and law suits prevent them. I cannot attempt this myself since I do not have "Digital Technician". I guess I have a $38,000 invested "Pink Elephant". Of course Harley says see your conversion company and the conversion company says see Harley !.......I believe I'm going to attempt pulling the BCM, opening it up, and see if I could glue a pendulum and stop it's mechanical function. I have no idea if this is possible but I have to try. I cannot have the bike shutting down every time I take a moderate curve in the road. I need someone versed in the Digital Technician, the BCM, the BAS, CanBus, etc. These conversion company's will have to address this problem, going forward, since the newer bikes will have these digital controls.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

If you look at the parts catalogs for the 14 touring & trike, you will see that they both use the same BCM 69994-12A.
The trike has a switch that I don't see for the touring model, Switch, Bank Angle #32495-98.
If you look at the 2014 Sidecar Attachment Kit, it also includes the same BAS. The kit has the BAS, a mounting bracket & wire harness.
Before you open up a BCM, I would research the differences between the trike & touring bikes. I really think opening a BCM would be mistake. I think the way to go would be adding the BAS as stated in the Sidecar attachment instructions.
If you can find the right Service manager/tech at show them what you have found (sidecar kit) maybe you can fix your problem.
Everything I have found is available on the HD SIP
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

The bank angle sensor function in your BCM works using something called an accelerometer which is more electronic than mechanical and opening the module will serve no purpose as you'll just see a rather complicated looking circuit board and very possibly damage something in the process of opening it up.
I understand your frustration and to some degree also understand the dealerships perspective in this day and age where lawsuits are common place.
Even if you tried to go down the route that 14GuineaPig has suggested which uses a more conventional BAS I believe that the BCM still needs to be reconfigured to a trike setting.
It might be worth trying some more dealerships and with luck you'll find one that will do it for you and depending on how far away they are you may even be able to post it to them and they can set it up on one of their own trikes as a BCM isn't VIN locked to a bike like the ECM and speedo.
Good luck.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

On the trike model & the sidecar kit, there is a Bank Angle Switch. It gets wired into the BCM harness. It also appears that the BCM must be setup after the BAS is added in the case of the sidecar kit.
For the trike http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=40&c=0&d=2014 FLHTCUTG TRI GLIDE ULTRA CLASSIC (MA) FRAME ASSEMBLY - FRONT

Instructions for the sidecar attachment kit
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson..../view?id=89898

Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 AM
thol228
6th Gear
Default 2014 BAS BCM conversion

Thank you J BEE and 14 GuineaPig...That is some good Intel...Yes, if the BAS inside my BCM is actually an accelerometer then I agree trying to open it would be useless. If I understand your suggestions, I would need to purchase the external BAS, used on the trike, install/wire it, and then find a dealer willing to flash my BCM to reflex its a trike, thereby now using the new external BAS. (I assume, if successful, the external BAS must function better on there trike with the new lateral G forces.) Also I'm thinking of a timing issue...If I install/wire the new BAS to my BCM I wonder if the bike would run to the dealership before it's reflashed ? (Perhaps if the new BAS is wired in part to Pin4 of my BCM it will be ignored, and not hurt anything, until the BCM is reflashed ?)...Thanks guys..I really need to move forward on this.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM
thol228
6th Gear
Default 2014 Trike BAS

Thanks again..I've spent countless hours researching this and what you guys are suggesting seems best. I have ordered a BAS 32495-98, a Bracket 69201702, and a harness 69201698. I have also found a Harley Dealership close that says what I'm doing makes perfect sense and is willing to reflash my BCM after I install the parts. The whole thing is about $250.00. The trike should end up with the same setup as Harleys TriGlide (for the BAS function).
I hope the conversion kit companys learn about all this and address the issue going forward. Mine also has a red light on in the dash because of tail light issues. The BCM is now seeing a "tail light converter module" instead of its normal filament light bulbs so it sets a code for "open rear brake and stop lamps. I will be removing the converter , adding separate turn signals, and thereby removing that problem too..Cheez !......I will post again after this BAS trouble is resolved just so everyone will know in case it happens to them..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 BCM bank angle sensor on trike