Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Starter relay issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Outdoor_fun
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter relay issue

I got my 02 Ultra Classic last year. The previous owner or someone had placed a makeshift get it home button on the starter. IE: push button switch, wired to the positive on the starter and plugged into the connection where the start button wire should be. I removed it and put a get it home switch on the end of the starter. Works just fine but not being able to start it normally has been driving me crazy. After a lot of research, I traced the problem to one wire on the starter relay. Tested the relay, works fine. The issue I found is the relay was not grounded (pin 85 on relay). The tan and green wire on pin 85 is connected to the TSSM, position #9. Wiring diagram shows it is for the start relay connection. My fix was to remove the tan/green wire from the relay socket and tape it off to eliminate it from grounding to anything. I then put a new wire in its place and grounded it to the frame. In doing this, the relay works properly and the factory push button switch works as it should. I have checked turn signals and flashers, radio and security system. Everything is working as it should. Does anyone see any issues with what I have done? Your input is much appreciated.

Safe travels.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

Originally Posted by Outdoor_fun
I got my 02 Ultra Classic last year. The previous owner or someone had placed a makeshift get it home button on the starter. IE: push button switch, wired to the positive on the starter and plugged into the connection where the start button wire should be. I removed it and put a get it home switch on the end of the starter. Works just fine but not being able to start it normally has been driving me crazy. After a lot of research, I traced the problem to one wire on the starter relay. Tested the relay, works fine. The issue I found is the relay was not grounded (pin 85 on relay). The tan and green wire on pin 85 is connected to the TSSM, position #9. Wiring diagram shows it is for the start relay connection. My fix was to remove the tan/green wire from the relay socket and tape it off to eliminate it from grounding to anything. I then put a new wire in its place and grounded it to the frame. In doing this, the relay works properly and the factory push button switch works as it should. I have checked turn signals and flashers, radio and security system. Everything is working as it should. Does anyone see any issues with what I have done? Your input is much appreciated.

Safe travels.
did this work for you? I have jumped this tan wire but left it connected. I am still having the issue of the selenoid plunger not engaging.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Outdoor_fun
Stage II
Default Starter relay issue.

Everything works good. I completely disconnected the tan wire and replaced it with a ground wire.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Spydermann22: Start a new thread, explain exactly what the issue is, and the model and year of bike.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

would have to look at the schematic, but if the ecm us providing a ground path, no issues, the ecm is out the picture.
that said, if the ecm is providing the source, then there will be issues since power will not flow through the relay holding coil.