Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Dead Battery Trickle charger wont work

Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,900 Likes on 3,012 Posts

Hook it up to a 120 volt outlet, it'll charge 10x faster.

Just kidding.
The battery's only a year old, I'd try to resurrect it.
But that's me, I'm cheap.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

OP, did the battery survive?

Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reeves1238
I left my key on for about two days before I realized it. This obviously drained my battery severly. I called the dealership and they said all i needed was the HD trickle charger. So I bought it and hooked it up last night only to find out that the trickle charger only works if the battery is at a certain level and not drained completly. Called the dealer back and told them what was going on and they said that I need to take the battery our of the bike and take it to them becuase they have a special charger that MIGHT bring the battery back to life, but I will most likely have to buy a new battery. I have a 12volt marine/rv battery charger that I wish I could use to get a little bit of a charge on the battery and they I could use the trickle charge to get it to where it needs to be. Is that sage or should I just take the battery to the dealer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2008 1200 XLC (Sportser Custom)

Thanks
Brian
Put some jumper wires on it, to your car, go in and have lunch. After about an hour, put the tender back on it.--- the main cable goes to the starter. Put the wire to the starter nut and the other to ground-- you needn't remove anything but the rubber boot over the starter connection.----

Old 11-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Modern chargers either 10 amp or the under 1 amp maintenance chargers require a reading to charge. I can put my DC volter meter on both and it will show no voltage. My older 10 amp will. The newer ones have a much better voltage control and need a load to charge. They also will not put out if reversed .
If your battery is so low, it will not charger, I bet it's done. I sure would not charge it in the bike. If you really are determined to try, take it out. Take a set of jumper cables and hook the + to + and - to - from your car to it. Leave room for the maintenance charger. Let is sit for a few minutes. Now hook your charger to the the bike battery and remove the connection for the car. It will probably continue to charge.

It's probably damaged pretty bad and I seriously doubt it will full recover. It takes a special built boat type battery for deep cycle. RIP's CRV was about a year old when she left rear door light on about a week. I charged it a few days. It never was right and the green indicator never showed green anymore. It tested OK and voltage was correct. It just did not have the amps it should have had. It did last a couple more years.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:28 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
OP, did the battery survive?
Ron, this thread is 7 years old. There's a chance the OP sold the bike or......who knows, maybe he is in his final resting place.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:42 PM
rgoodpa1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Ron, this thread is 7 years old. There's a chance the OP sold the bike or......who knows, maybe he is in his final resting place.

OR he's still on the side of the road somewhere cause it failed.

I ran across this thread via Google while searching trickle charging a dead battery. After hearing all these stories, I ran down and bought a Lithium battery. Caught it on sale for 150. It's lite as a feather (not that it really matters on a Fatboy). Hope it's worth a darn.