Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Biketronics Installation, Head Unit, Retro Kit, Amplifiers, Speakers - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Biketronics Installation, Head Unit, Retro Kit, Amplifiers, Speakers - Part II

This is the second installation thread of two that I have posted including full pictorials. This one deals with installation of an aftermarket head unit using the Biketronics RetroRadio installation kit, the Biketronics BT-480 UcD amplifiers, and their Hertz BT445 High Energy Speakers. If you do not have the fairing removed and need information on it's removal, it can be found by following this link to the fairing removal page. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tallation.html

To start this installation, we will start by removing the stock HK head unit from the fairing and getting the new equipment ready to install. This install will utilize a Pioneer Head Unit and Retro Harness that was previously used in my 2007 Streetglide along with the iPod.

This is the Biketronics BT-480 Power Block Amplifier Kit with Power Supply, and (2) UcD Amplifier Pods. It pounds an amazing 180watts per channel and will support (4) speakers if you are adding rears or lowers to your kit. Before installing this setup, you will need to remove the seat to get to the battery, and it's best to remove the tank so you can conceal the power leads from the battery to the fairing.

This installation was performed on a 2009 model so under the seat you will find the ECM module atop the battery cover plate. First thing to do is remove the ground screw from the battery. This is on the right side of the battery cage and is readily accessible before removing anything else. Next, remove the ECM by depressing the 2 side clips and slide it out towards the right side. Slide the release bar (Grey Color) to uncouple the ECM from the harness and then set it aside. Behind the ECM you will find 2 Torx bolts that secure the rear section of the plastic battery cover and this will need to be removed to access the positive terminal on the battery. There are also two allen bolts at the front base of the battery that secures the front mounting bracket. I removed this bracket to allow easy removal of the battery cover.

Here's where the (4) bolts go when you reinstall the battery cover. The long screws on the front lower bracket will require loctite when you reinstall them.

This picture shows the ECM, battery cover, and mounting bracket removed and set aside.

Next comes removal of the gas tank. On the 09 model there are only 2 points securing the dash console. Remove the rear bolt (center bolt), then the allen bolt at the front of the console and then remove the filler cap. When you lift it off, reach under and uncouple the right side vent line and then set the console aside. Now you can unplug the fuel sending harness and the overflow tube near the positive (left) battery post. The outer Torx Bolts noted above are only 2 of the 4 bolts securing the tank. Remove these 2 and the front 2 which are just under the rubber boots at the front of the tank. Now you can uncouple the the fuel lines quick connect on the left side of the tank and remove the tank. There is no crossover on the 09 tanks so this is much easier than earlier models where you had to pump the fuel out when removing the tank because of the crossover tube.

Here is one of the 2 front tank bolts before it was removed. They have rubber covers over them which is easily removed to reveal the torx bolt. One per side just in front of the tank.

With the frame and wiring tray exposed, you can now route your power cable for the amplifier. The kit includes a fused 14ga wire long enough to run from the battery to the front fairing. It easily tucks in along the ABS lines on the right hand side of the frame and is easily secured with tie wraps.

With the tank and fairing cap removed and the new power lead run up to the fairing from the battery, you are ready to start on the head end equipment. Start by removing the harness coupling on the back of the HK radio.

This shows the radio with the harness unplugged and the antenna shown on the right side.

Now you can unbolt the radio by removing the 4 allen bolts that secure it into the radio cage. There are two bolts on each side that will need to be removed and they are accesible through holes on the side of the radio cage. The picture below shows the head unit removed and the mounting bolts are pictured in the threads of the mounting blocks from Biketronics.

The RetroRadio kit includes the DIN faceplate for the new head unit, the complete handlebar control interface harness, and the grey adapter plates shown on each side of the new radio. This converts the DIN models to mount up to the stock radio cage and acts as an adapter or filler plate.

The head unit slides in from the back and secures to the cage using the same 4 bolts you removed from the stock unit. It easier to insert the radio at a slight angle to allow the faceplate to slide into the cage. It then comes to rest flush against the fairing and fills the hole left from the stock radio.

Here's a picture of the fairing with the head unit mounted and the speaker holes prepped for the new speakers which I am about to install into this bike.

For this install, I chose to utilize the Biketronics BT445 speakers which are made by Hertz in Italy. These are Biketronics best speaker and they are rated at 70watts nominal and 140watts peak. The pleated surround allows for faster cone movement and provides better bass response from a 5.25" product. To make things sound even better, I also used the Biketronics Power Grills that have large perforated openings in the grill to allow better air movement and speaker response. These grills also enhance the alignment of the speaker and direct the sound right to the riders ear.

Here we see the mounting tabs supplied with the amplifier pods. They provide a flat mounting surface for installation of the pods as seen in the next picture.

Here we have the 180 watt amplifier pods in place with speakers connected. Each pod houses a UcD amplifier which is the latest in high power low draw amplifiction. These are full range amps that are capable of runing stable right now to 1 ohm loads, and they kick a$$.

This is the right side pod with each side being marked with correctly color coded white and grey speaker wires. White to the left (kickstand) side, and grey on the right side. Wires with the black stripes are negative speaker leads as usual. Connect the speaker wires, deliver the power leads to the power supply coupler and you're ready to plug the supplied RCA leads into your new head unit or supplied isolator (if needed).

Here is the power supply that mounts on top of the head unit. It has a harness that connects to the amplifiers, ground wire, remote trigger lead, and a ground. Take only 15-20 minutes to connect everything in the fairing and the instructions from Biketronics are very well explained complete with pictures.

The Biketronics Retro Harness plugs right into the stock Harley harness and leaves only a few simple wire to connect to take over the signals of the handlebar controls. Again...instructions from Biketronics are very well laid out and can be followed by anyone.

Here is the complete view with everything buttoned up and nicely packaged. The kits take up a minimal amount of space in the fairing and packs some serious punch. I've instaled some killer systems into bikes and can say right now that this one offers some of the best sound I have heard to date. It absolutely pounds in there and it isn't hard to say that this outperforms any component amplifier on the market.

The service from Mike Meehan and his crew at Biketronics is another key factor in the choice made for this system as they are ranked among the best for sales, service, and technical support. What makes this system even better is each and every component from BT has a lifetime guarantee. I know there are many choices out there for audio components, but this is one you do not want to overlook when looking for some serious power. It's a high end product that produces low current draw, produces very little heat, and also includes their statorguard system to ensure the amplifier doesn't draw too much power and protects the charging system on the bike. Do yourself a favour and call Biketronics. Many here on HDF have installed their products, and many will tell you tht their products are top shelf. I know I will!

In a week or so I will add one more pair of speakers as my lower fairings are out being painted right now. Once they are installed I'll post one last thread linking it all together and shown with some additonal shots and sound bites. Hope this info helps some of you out.

Cheers...G

Last edited by GasCan; 01-17-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for doing these writeups!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice write-up and excellent pics, Graeme--THANKS!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet, thanks a lot.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
abhik382
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Interesting Pics.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics and write up... thanks

Last edited by Lawdawg; 01-28-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

great write up.now,for the not so smart ,what is the 1/8 stereo control plug.also, where on the back of the radio does it go.im using the sony cdx-gt61ui radio.thanks from a not too smart.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
swlamedic
Tourer

I have one question about the biketronic though...Can you intall them with your factory radio?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gpp
great write up.now,for the not so smart ,what is the 1/8 stereo control plug.also, where on the back of the radio does it go.im using the sony cdx-gt61ui radio.thanks from a not too smart.
Most newer decks have a 1/8" remote input and this is where the little black stereo plug from the Biketronics harness goes. It connects your head unit into the harness so that your handlebar controls can send the appropriate signals to the deck for the volume and song selections.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by swlamedic
I have one question about the biketronic though...Can you intall them with your factory radio?
Yes, both Hogtunes and Biketronics offer amplifiers that are compatible with the factory radios and they are quite easy to wire in. Visit their respective websites and have a look at the products they offer. Both are very good with customer support and tech issues alike.

Quick Reply: Biketronics Installation, Head Unit, Retro Kit, Amplifiers, Speakers - Part II