Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wiring a "TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KIT"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring a "TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KIT"

I have a TourPak on the detachable 4 point docking system on my ’09 Road King FLHR. The TourPak doesn’t come with any brake/signal lights. I picked up the new LED wrap around brake/signal light kit PN# 67932-11. Am in the process of figuring out where I need to run the wiring etc. As the TourPak is detachable, I need to be able to disconnect the wiring harness to pull the TourPak off.

Is there anybody out there that has added this kit to their detachable TourPak and if so, where did you run your wiring from the rear brake harness? Where did you place your wire harness connectors so that you could disconnect them to pull the TourPak off? Any photos would be great too. Thanks. I want this to be a clean install.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First, I suggest you post this in the "Touring" section of HDF; you'll get a lot more views and advice there where questions like yours are typically posted.

Second, you may get exactly what you're looking for in terms of the same bike, same accessory light, same detachble issue, etc. But you may (almost certainly will) also get very useful information on making electrical connections detachable/quck disconnect from guys with Electra Glides/Street Glides who've made lighted tour paks and or tp's with lights and speaker wiring detachable and dealt with storing the wiring that remains on the bike when the tour pak is removed.

Hope to see you next on the Touring forum.

Carl

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

install your wrap around kit
run the wiring through the left front bottom of the tour-pak
there is already a set of wiring for the rear lights under the seat so you can tie in there.
i would use a standard trailer wiring harness kit that you can plug and unplug at will and can tuck under the seat when not using. the wrap around kit should have come with a harness you can use to plug into the harness under the seat.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Retrax
Tourer

What are you guys using to tap into the factory harness? Scotch locks (man I hate those things)? Strip wires and solder? Is there a higher quality tap splice available?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The OP sent me a PM and said he and his buddy figured out how to do it. The kit comes with a Y-harness that plugs into the separated rear lighting connection under the seat. No need to splice anything, and it's easy to remove the seat to connect and reconnect the connection going to the tour pak.

retrax, for connecting to unused connections on the bike, HD offers the necessary connectors and pins/sockets so there is no splicing. If splicing, solder and heat shrink tubing. I've also used posi-taps. Much prefer finding a compatible connector or solder/heat shrink.

Carl

Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser

Thanks for all of the great advice. We were able to install the unit. It is almost (but not quite) a plug and play. Just ran into a problem with my Custom Dynamics Run/Brake/Turn module. The wiring module was making a loud buzzing noise and loud clicks when the turn signals were engaged. I bypassed the Run/Brake/Turn module and now the LED Tourpak brake and signal light kit works flawlessly. Not sure what this is all about. I'll have to contact Custom Dynamics next week to see if they have any recommendations. I am very pleased with the light kit. I painted the kit (from matte black) to match the bike. Looks greats and the LED's are BRIGHT.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Retrax
Tourer

Carl, thanks for the info. I'd much rather run a y splitter as you suggested than splice into a factory harness if possible. Glad the OP was able to get his setup done