Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rear Turn Signals on my Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
acd118
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Turn Signals on my Night Train

Hello to all. I'm brand new on here so I hope I am putting this question in the right area. I am having an issue with my rear turn signals on my 2007 Night Train and figured joining a forum would be the best way to get advice and save some money. I appreciate any help anyone could offer.

I bought a 2007 Night Train a couple months ago as a second bike in stock form. I have since added V+H Big Radius pipes and fueler, Mo Flow air cleaner, and some basic pretty parts. Including the Tribar LED tail light and smoked lense covers with amber (orange) bulbs. I installed everything on my own and it has been working great until this week. My left rear turn signal quit working. I noticed this sitting at a traffic light when the arrow on the dash started blinking twice as fast as it normally does. It made me wonder so I started looking around. The front signal is working but the rear would not. I popped the cover off to look at the bulb which is fine (still has the fillament attached to both sides with no breaks in it). I smeared more dielectric grease on it and stuck it back in with a good twist and seating it in the whole way. I took the bike out to my second job and the bulb still won't work. On my way home, the rear right signal quit working as well. I did the same procedure, removing to check, etc. Both bulbs are good. I'm no mechanic by any means but this makes me think that it has to be a connection or fuse issue or maybe something to do with the tail light as the plugs for the turn signals run off the same circuit board as the tail and brake lights. I also checked the wires under the fender to make sure they arent broken or cracked. They appear to be in good working condition. They worked great until now, and again, the left rear went out first then the right an everything else still works fine. Just both rear turns. They do not come on at all, whether it is with the key fob to deactivate the alarm, with trying to do a left or right turn, or with the four ways. Doesn't matter if it is on ignition or auxillary. And there is plenty of fluid in both signals for all the jokesters.

One thing to mention just in case. Like a rookie, I was running late for work the week before. When I got to work, I switched the run/off switch on the bars and not the ignition switch on the tank. Don't know why I did that because I never did it before, but the battery went dead because the head light was still on I guess. I did hook the bike up to a charger for a couple hours here at work and it fired right up. Everything was working fine then and the signal problems didn't happen until over a week later. Again, I'm no mechanic but if a module/relay/fuse would hae went bad because of my rookie mistake, wouldn't that have happened on the spot and not a week and 120 miles later?

Can anyone help out please? I would hate to spend $75 per hour to have something simple fixed if I can do it myself.

Thanks for having me on your forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by acd118; 06-01-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added info/clarifications
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
tattoofever
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if you need a load eq for the rear led's

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
acd118
Tourer

The rear signals are still the 1156 bulbs, I jsut changed the bulbs, not the whole light. I looked at it last night after work. The bulbs are fine, the wires coming from under the seat are fine (no breaks, cuts, or exposed copper to short, etc.) Front bulbs are working great. Is there a fuse that I should check? I really hope it isn't a module. I called the local HD dealer and they want to rob me $78/hr with a half hour minimum to hook it up to the computer and then another $240 for the turn signal module. I think I will just tear th led tail light apart and make sure the connections are good there. I just found it really weird that just the rear right would go out, then the rear left a couple days after that.

Thank you for getting back to me. You probably know how it is, this is bugging the life out of me.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:19 PM
acd118
Tourer

Also, should I start a thread in a different section to see if I can get more responses?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
tattoofever
Tourer

I'm only guessing but mayby try to unhook your led brake light and see if they work just unplug the light , you can check for codes pretty easy yourself there's a few post around here about it and it's really simple wish I had the answer for you

Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
tattoofever
Tourer

I mention the load eq only because they cause weird things like you describe perhaps your led tail light is in that circuit somhow with the running lights so mayby unpluggging the tail light will change the issue good luck I know how it feels when the bike acts up

Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
acd118
Tourer

Tatoo,

I don't know how or why, but I pulled the tail light apart last night and put it back together after checking everything again. It worked!!! After I checked the fuses, wires, and bulbs again, I pulled the light apart basically tearing it down to the bracket (reversing the install instructions). The only thing I can think of is something resetting itself because the plastic clips for the turn signal wires were a pain in the *** to get out again. One thing I did notice was that those clips can be seated about another .031-.062 of an inch after the clip clicks. Maybe I didn't have them pushed the whole way in at first and they worked loose after riding on these beautifully smooth PA roads (my attempt at sarcasm).

Either way, my turns work again and that's what I want. Thanks so much for the response bro. I appreciate your help.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 PM
tattoofever
Tourer

Perhaps it was a loose connection glad you got it fixed feels good doing it yourself right ride safe bro