Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery keeps draining

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 PM
dinolo24
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps draining

Hey fellas my sporty battery keeps getting drained... New battery installed last April. LED lights installed over summer, could the light drain battery so quickly? If I don't turn the bike on every few days it drains. Brought it i to stealer in august and paid an arm and leg to havebthem tell me it was loose wire to starter... Problem started again about 6 weeks ago... Tried to start bike tonight and battery is completely drained which is a first... Usually the lights turn on bright but when I go turn over it won't crank w enough power eventually draining battery but today even lights were barely visible.

I'm gonna disconnect led lights and recharge battery but will have to wait a few days to see if battery drains. With cold weather approaching fast I'd lie to get to the bottom of this soon... Working in the cold sux!

Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Electrical problems like this are often mechanical, in other words something has come loose, like that starter wire, or broken. The only way your LED lights might drain the battery is if they are not wired in correctly.

Two suggestions. One is get a battery tender, so you can plug the bike in over night. It will also keep the battery topped up over winter if you don't use it often, so is a good long-term investment. Also get a multi-meter, so you can check your bike's charging and electrical system, as a faulty rectifier or stator can give your symptoms.