Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

DIY mini Tach install, softail, touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY mini Tach install, softail, touring

I figured I post this here just in case anyone is looking for wiring info.

Did this on my Heritage Springer a few years back, figured if someone needs the wiring info. (they were the same on my softail and 06 and 2001 roadking)
Here are the pics of my install on a 2001 roadking classic.
I used T-tap connectors and shrouded spades for the 3 wires and a regular female connector for the Tach wire. You will also need wire stripper and wire crimping tool. Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing is optional.

STEP 1:
Make sure bike is off and disconnect neg battery terminal.
Remove console and carefully turn it over and look for a pink wire attached to the odometer harness, this is your tach signal wire.(mine was attached via zip tie from the factory)
-
STEP 2:
Lay console over a shop towel or thick piece of cloth to protect it and the bike while you're working on the wires.

TIPS before you go to step 3:
I found it easier to connect the T-taps when I detached/disconnected the Odo/speedo harness and Ignition harness.

When using T-taps, you can use a wire stripper just enough to cut through the plastic covering of the wire (and NOT cut the wire) to expose the wiring. You can use a screw driver to widen the metal piece of the connector a little bit for a better fit.(see pics)

The blue quick connect spades are easy to install with a crimper tool.(most wire strippers has a built in crimper)

STEP 3:

Here's how to connect them: (see pics)

Green wire from tach to Pink wire in console
Red wire from tach to RED/black" ignition ON" switch wire
Black wire (ground) to #10pin black from odometer harness
Blue wire to Orange wire from instument lamp harness.

-

-

-

-

-

Your install may vary, as to where your final location is for your tach. Mine is on the left side of the handlebar, so I route the tach wire from the console, underneath the triple tree and handlebar clamp.(see pics)

STEP 4:
Verify all connections, re-install console and make sure new Tach wiring does not bind
when handlebars are moved left, right. Reconnect the neg battery wire and verify, move your bike outside the garage (LOL) turn ignition ON and start your bike to make sure your New tach is working.

STEP 5:
Smile and admire your work, turn the bike off and run inside before you freeze your $$$ Off!
It was 19 to 22F when I did this, so I was inside my small garage with a portable radiant heater. Sorry for the pics, it was night time by the time I was done. Install should take about 1-2 hours maybe less if you have all the stuff you need and not loose screws like I did- that handlebar /headlamp nacelle clamp is a pita to install and reinstall,lol

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Cool idea. Word of warning. Eventually those scotch locks will corrode and give you issues.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

My 04 not only did not have a tac pick up wire off the speedometer, Harley even went to the trouble of saving 2 cent by leaving the connector pin out of the harness plug. My local Harley had a box of pins but would not sell me one. An old 32 pin pc printer cable pin is the same size. Used that after soldering a lead to it. Anyone ever need a pin PM me

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-27-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master

Originally Posted by soft 02
Cool idea. Word of warning. Eventually those scotch locks will corrode and give you issues.
Thanks, I've used them on my boat and my friends katamaran. Never had issues. But thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02

Another word of warning.

The newer 12 / 13 Dynas and Softails use a newly designed ECM by Bosche. The tach connection is no longer a simple pulsed signal like it used to be but rather now part of the new canbus system HD is using.

Basically what it means is you can't just go by any old tach to put on your Dyna and ST and expect to wire it in. Must be canbus ready.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Another word of warning.

The newer 12 / 13 Dynas and Softails use a newly designed ECM by Bosche. The tach connection is no longer a simple pulsed signal like it used to be but rather now part of the new canbus system HD is using.

Basically what it means is you can't just go by any old tach to put on your Dyna and ST and expect to wire it in. Must be canbus ready.
Well that sux...sorry guys with the 2012 and 2013 bikes, this wont work.
But This worked on my 2003 Heritage springer, same wiring. IIRC my 06 roadking standard had the same pink tach signal and not much different with the wiring harness.
Also make sure you get a Tach which is made for the coil you're running. The stock ones are dual fire, not single fire. If you are in doubt, look at your coil. If there's 2 wires running from coil to each plugs then you have dual.

-

-

Last edited by knightenforcer; 01-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bump for future reference...