Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
buddyman47
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problems

I have a 99 heritage softail with original speedo; working fine until recently when the digital display went blank and the needle went south.
I've checked everything; took sensor out of transmission and cleaned off magnetic filings etc.; still not working; replaced speedo with another original 99 and it did the same thing. (when engine starts.....display shows; but when put in gear and starting out......the digital display dies and the needle doesn't register.)

Purchased new sensor and replaced old one; Still doing the same thing.

HELP !!!!!

thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

is the speedo the only electrical problem you're having with the bike? If so, I believe there is a connecter under the tank for the speedo that might need to be looked at.
if you're having any other issues, I'd be looking at the fuse box and battery cables for loose or corroded connections.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 99 softail. speedo/odometer problems.....same as yours so I worked on the speedo yesterday and today...all the wires checked out so I narrowed it down to speedo itself or the speed sensor. shop manual uses a speedometer tester part number HD-41354. I figured this would be nice to diagnose my problem. called the dealer to see if they had this test set, they told me I had to bring my bike in because they don't work on parts off the bike. I asked if I brought in a wheel would they mount and balance a tire and they said sure? WTF? Thanks for nothing!

anyway now I think it may be the voltage regulator. had me puzzled. didn't realize there was a diagnostic mode on the speedo which showed the fault code of d08 which means over voltage. speedo and odometer work fine when sitting idle but as I accelerate the speedo goes to 0 and the odometer blanks out. I had a multi meter on the battery while the bike was off....12 volts. at idle, 14 volts and as I increase the throttle the voltage jumps up to 17 volts and thats when the speedo fails. should stay at 14 correct? I am thinking voltage regulator. the dealer has one for $122, I went outside and checked Drag Specialties on my phone...$53.99. went back inside and told the parts guys no thanks I found it for cheaper.....he said I would still have to pay shipping..HAHA! did you ever figure out the problem? looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger on any new parts. thanks.