Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

help with ignition switch for seat heater

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default help with ignition switch for seat heater

Hi guys. I have never had to post in this section before bit I need your help now, oh electrical gurus. I had my seat modded by meancity cycle...looks awesome...and had a heater put in. I had the mechanic at work prepare the wiring for me and connected it to my battery and now I have a working seat heater. Here is the problem. It will not turn off when the bike is off without the switch being in the off position. I can only tell u that this blonde will have moments of forgetfulness, hop off the bike, and forget to turn the switch off...returning to a dead battery.
The very brief instructions say to connect to the switched ignition power only. I connected to the battery terminals. How do i connect to the ignition power boys?
Dawn.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Now i see I probably posted in wrong section. Guess I should have posted in tech area. Too bad my dumb phone won't let me post the link there.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYSBY
Hi guys. I have never had to post in this section before bit I need your help now, oh electrical gurus. I had my seat modded by meancity cycle...looks awesome...and had a heater put in. I had the mechanic at work prepare the wiring for me and connected it to my battery and now I have a working seat heater. Here is the problem. It will not turn off when the bike is off without the switch being in the off position. I can only tell u that this blonde will have moments of forgetfulness, hop off the bike, and forget to turn the switch off...returning to a dead battery.
The very brief instructions say to connect to the switched ignition power only. I connected to the battery terminals. How do i connect to the ignition power boys?
Dawn.
For some reason it seems your bike doesn't have a "customers accessory plug".
I'd recommend to tie the heating's 12v feed wire into the orange/white wire running from the P-position (fuse output side) at the fuse box (see image below) into the main harness. This wire only carries 12v if the ignition switch is in the accessory and ignition position.

Attached Thumbnails help with ignition switch for seat heater-2007-softail-fuse-block.jpg  

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 03-02-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Rene! Long time no talk. Hope u r well and happy! I was hoping it was a simple put this wire here and u r fixed. That looks very confusing. Thx for helping. Maybe it will make sense in the garage next to the bike all surrounded by snow. Lol

Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

By the way, this set up comes with a relay with its own fuse. Would that change things Rene?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Rene! Long time no talk. Hope u r well and happy! I was hoping it was a simple put this wire here and u r fixed. That looks very confusing. Thx for helping. Maybe it will make sense in the garage next to the bike all surrounded by snow. Lol
All's well over here....I hope it's the same for you!

Should be an easy fix. Take a good look at the rear side of the fuse box panel to find the wire. If you need additional help just let me know.

Another option would be to tie in an inline 15 amp fuse holder into the seat's 12 v wire and connect it to the ignition switch's red/gray wire.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks again. I'll give it a shot. I do a lot of things to my bike...change oil in all holes, put my own full exhaust on by myself (even some guys wont do it) but I usually avoid electric and brake issues. I just hate to pay for something that may be a quick fix.
Now to get out of work and try and fix it up...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

By the way, this set up comes with a relay with its own fuse. Would that change things Rene?
Thanks again. I'll give it a shot. I do a lot of things to my bike...change oil in all holes, put my own full exhaust on by myself (even some guys wont do it) but I usually avoid electric and brake issues. I just hate to pay for something that may be a quick fix.
Now to get out of work and try and fix it up...
This wiring diagram might help:

Attached Thumbnails help with ignition switch for seat heater-seat-heating.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Ooo. That does help. Now could u make it stop snowing so I can fix it? Lolthanks so much sweetie!
Dawn