Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

HELP! wiring turn signals and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM
joyRYDER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! wiring turn signals and brake light

Well I got some bullet turn signals and brake light from DK Customs to run on my 2009 1200 sportster. So I have NO IDEA which wires are which? Any help would be great, I know tons of guys have swapped out their rear lights on here. The thing is, I gotta get the back together tonight so I can get to work tomorrow, so please help me out. I know somewhere on here in the last week I saw some thread about how to do this with kind of a wiring diagram, but cant find it anywhere.
Thanks in advanced, ride hard but ride safe.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

You will need a volt meter or a test light, use a good ground on the frame, and then test each wire to see which one sends 12 volts when you apply the brakes, then the same for the blinkers, and for the running lights. As you identify which wire works with which function, make a note on some masking tape and put it on the wire so you don't end up testing it again.

Should take 20 minutes max to identify all the wires.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM
joyRYDER
6th Gear

Ok thanks. So I identified all the wires, bought a manual with wiring diagram, but still having a problem with the ground. The taillight and bullets are all grounded when mounted, but the lights wont work unless the black ground from the wiring harness is connected to another wire? what do I do with the black ground wire from the wiring harness? I tried bolting it to the frame, and that doesnt work. For instance, when I hook up the green (brake) wire from the new tail light to the red/orange (brake) wire from the wiring harness, it wont work, unless I touch the black (running) wire from the new taillight with the black (ground) wire from the wiring harness. The same goes with each turn signal as well. Does that make sense? It seems like I just need to connect the black (ground) from the wiring harness to something to make them all work, but really not sure. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by joyRYDER
Ok thanks. So I identified all the wires, bought a manual with wiring diagram, but still having a problem with the ground. The taillight and bullets are all grounded when mounted, but the lights wont work unless the black ground from the wiring harness is connected to another wire? what do I do with the black ground wire from the wiring harness? I tried bolting it to the frame, and that doesnt work. For instance, when I hook up the green (brake) wire from the new tail light to the red/orange (brake) wire from the wiring harness, it wont work, unless I touch the black (running) wire from the new taillight with the black (ground) wire from the wiring harness. The same goes with each turn signal as well. Does that make sense? It seems like I just need to connect the black (ground) from the wiring harness to something to make them all work, but really not sure. Any ideas? Thanks again.
From the instructions-

"If you mount the Tail Light in a manner that isolates it from grounding on the frame, run a wire from one of the mounting fasteners to the frame so the unit is grounded."

"If you mount the Turn Signals in a manner that isolates it from grounding on the frame, run a wire from the mounting brackets to the frame so the unit is grounded."

Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
joyRYDER
6th Gear

Ok got it worked out last night Finally! Not sure why the lights didn't ground, but I finally just ran the ground wire from the bike to the housing on the taillight and that did it. Thanks for your help man.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by joyRYDER
Ok got it worked out last night Finally! Not sure why the lights didn't ground, but I finally just ran the ground wire from the bike to the housing on the taillight and that did it. Thanks for your help man.
Cool! Good to hear.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
joyRYDER
6th Gear

Well, went to jump on the bike this morning and head to work and the battery was dead. Figured all the light testing must have killed it, so I put it on the charger and drove a car to work instead. Just got home, hoping to fire it up and go for a ride, and now what? Engine tries to start but wont!Acts like it isnt getting fuel, but there is plenty of gas? I dont have a clue...Yesterday, I basically chopped up the rear fender and fender rails, rewired the taillight on the side mount, and replaces rear turn signals. Also replaced the seat with a little springer seat. What could have possible caused this problem?