Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2014 FLHXS BCM problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Maui Mike
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2014 FLHXS BCM problems

New bike only 1300 miles and encountered problem after I washed the bike the first time.
1) Walked into the garage with key fob and the radio started playing and I did not touch bike. Turned ignition switch to "ON" and bike wouldn't start but radio did go off. Turned ignition switch to "OFF" position and bike started. Ran bike about 10 miles and shut off with switch in the "ON" position. When I tried to start bike it was back to normal and started in "ON" position. Didn't take it to dealer because it never happened again.
2) About 3 weeks later rode bike and when I shut it off radio stayed on no mater what I tried. Rode bike another 45 miles and when I shut it off radio went off as it should. Took it to dealer and they could not duplicate problem.
3) About a month later radio again would not shut off went straight to dealer so they could see what was happening told me to pull main fuse to reset until they could check. After check they said was ignition switch and changed it.
4) 2 days later it happened again only this time everything shut off and a second later dash lights, radio and headlight came on. Took it straight to dealer they called HD tech, their solution was to reset the radio again. When I went to pickup bike I checked it first and no good nothing would shut off in "OFF" position. Bike stayed at dealer for 7 days HD tech said to replace BCM, picked up bike today and so far working correctly. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM
mesamark5
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please keep us in the loop if changing the BCM fixed this.

My 14 is doing some weird stuff has well.

Originally Posted by Maui Mike
New bike only 1300 miles and encountered problem after I washed the bike the first time.
1) Walked into the garage with key fob and the radio started playing and I did not touch bike. Turned ignition switch to "ON" and bike wouldn't start but radio did go off. Turned ignition switch to "OFF" position and bike started. Ran bike about 10 miles and shut off with switch in the "ON" position. When I tried to start bike it was back to normal and started in "ON" position. Didn't take it to dealer because it never happened again.
2) About 3 weeks later rode bike and when I shut it off radio stayed on no mater what I tried. Rode bike another 45 miles and when I shut it off radio went off as it should. Took it to dealer and they could not duplicate problem.
3) About a month later radio again would not shut off went straight to dealer so they could see what was happening told me to pull main fuse to reset until they could check. After check they said was ignition switch and changed it.
4) 2 days later it happened again only this time everything shut off and a second later dash lights, radio and headlight came on. Took it straight to dealer they called HD tech, their solution was to reset the radio again. When I went to pickup bike I checked it first and no good nothing would shut off in "OFF" position. Bike stayed at dealer for 7 days HD tech said to replace BCM, picked up bike today and so far working correctly. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Maui Mike
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not getting back to this issue, but I was on a 6 week road trip with a new bike. Turns out the that the BCM change out didn't work, rode bike about 50 miles 2 days after change out, stopped at a store to get something to drink and bike wouldn't start at all! Dealer had to haul it to shop. Ended up getting a brand new FLHXS for my rode trip 3 days before I had to ship it to the mainland. Put 10,960 miles on it, road it through 4 rain storms with no problems. Washed it 4 times at drive in car washes, but on the fifth wash in Nebraska I washed it in the morning went to breakfast and when I tried to start it nothing happened switched ignition on and of about 3 times then I got message to enter security code then bike started, bike wouldn't recognize fob. I had to do this the rest of the day, but when I got to my final destination bike started working properly. I assume that water is getting into a connection somewhere and causing the problem and I think it is in the faring because I checked the fob antenna (under the seat) and the BCM and both connections and units were completely dry. I checked with Harley dealers along my route and they all say they use pressure washers to wash bikes. I didn't spray the innner fairing area with full pressure from the washer I only misted it so I could wipe the dirt off, I did spray the front of the fairing with full pressure to wash the bugs off.