Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

No Brake lights, no cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Lantern
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Brake lights, no cruise control?

I am having an issue with my brake light and cruise control on my 2011 Ultra Limited. While riding this week end my cruise control stopped working. The orange light comes on but the cruise control will not engage and will not turn green. I also noticed my brake light does not work when using front or rear brake. After checking for codes and then reading hear on the forum everything seem to point at the rear brake switch failing.

So today I did a little trouble shooting. I pulled the two wires connected to the brake switch loose and then used a jumper wire between the two and still no brake light.

I then removed the jumper wire and used a voltage tester to confirm I had power to the switch. I did have power but only 7.4 volts not 12 volts. Does anyone have any idea why?

I then hooked the hot wire to the rear brake switch and put my voltage tester on the other prong coming out of the rear brake switch. When I depressed the brake pedal the power went through the brake switch and did every time I tested it, but again the voltage was only 7.4 volts not 12 volts.

My conclusion is that the rear brake switch is working fine, but the low voltage is causing the issue with my brake light and in turn is causing my cruise control not to engage.

What do you guys think? Can anyone give me a direction to go and maybe what to troubleshoot? I hate to take it to the dealer for something I could fix. I am just at the point I am not sure which way to go. I know someone out there can point me in the right direction. HELP!!

Thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lantern
I am having an issue with my brake light and cruise control on my 2011 Ultra Limited. While riding this week end my cruise control stopped working. The orange light comes on but the cruise control will not engage and will not turn green. I also noticed my brake light does not work when using front or rear brake. After checking for codes and then reading hear on the forum everything seem to point at the rear brake switch failing.

So today I did a little trouble shooting. I pulled the two wires connected to the brake switch loose and then used a jumper wire between the two and still no brake light.

I then removed the jumper wire and used a voltage tester to confirm I had power to the switch. I did have power but only 7.4 volts not 12 volts. Does anyone have any idea why?

I then hooked the hot wire to the rear brake switch and put my voltage tester on the other prong coming out of the rear brake switch. When I depressed the brake pedal the power went through the brake switch and did every time I tested it, but again the voltage was only 7.4 volts not 12 volts.

My conclusion is that the rear brake switch is working fine, but the low voltage is causing the issue with my brake light and in turn is causing my cruise control not to engage.

What do you guys think? Can anyone give me a direction to go and maybe what to troubleshoot? I hate to take it to the dealer for something I could fix. I am just at the point I am not sure which way to go. I know someone out there can point me in the right direction. HELP!!

Thanks

No error codes?

Start by checking the brake relay and the brake and accessory fuses (both 15A). Both circuits are powered by the accessory circuit.

Measure voltage on either side of the fuses to check for bad connections and voltage drops.

The brake switch may also be bad.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM
kitt90
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no cc no stop light

I had the same problem on my 07 rk I founf I blew a fuse I had a dead short in the wireing harness that runs under the rear fender

Old 10-06-2014, 12:33 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Had the same problem with my 09 Road King, it turned out to be the rear brake light switch.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Hopefully you got it figured out by now but I vote for your fuse box connections being corroded. pull the brake light relay (17) and brake light fuse (1) and check the connections inside. spray electrical contact cleaner in there, put some dielectric grease in the connections, put them back in and try again. Might as well check the rest of them while you're in there.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:15 AM
jheron61
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire short

Originally Posted by Lantern

Thanks
6/22/21 Hello there did you get your problem figured out on your brake light/cruise control short? I have the same exact problem with my 06 Ultra. I’ve narrowed mine down to an area. On mine I believe the hot wire for the brake light & cruise is pinched in one of the two harness leading up into the fairing. When I turn the handle bars hard it somehow gets shorted out and blows the fuse every time. 20 fuses later by trial & error I’ve narrowed it down to the harnesses before they go behind the fairing. By moving them around the brake lights and cruise worked again with a new fuse of coarse. Turn the handle bars back and fourth touch the brake lever and boom out again. At least I think that’s where the problem lies. Let me know what you figured out on yours if you don’t mind. Thank you,

Old 06-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Neck harness if you have it narrows down then fix it.